An Cumann Gaelach Awarded Best Irish Language Student Society

They received the award from President Higgins in the national competition.

Dominic McGrathDeputy Editor
Sam McAllister for The University Times

An Cumann Gaelach have once again been awarded best Irish language student society in the national Glór na nGael competition, receiving the award from President Michael D Higgins.

Glór na nGael is one of the main national organisations for the promotion of the Irish language, annually awarding groups across the country prestigious awards for their work on developing and growing the Irish in their local group or community.

Trinity’s An Cummann Gaelach, who have been incredibily successful in the annual competition in recent years, winning it in 2012, 2013, 2014 and again in 2016, are one of the largest student societies in Ireland dedicated to the Irish language and the award came in recognition of the group’s work over the last year.

Áine Haberlin, who served as Reachtaire, or Auditor, of An Cuman Gaelach for the 2016/17 year, said in a press statement that the award will “greatly to the Cumann’s work next year and I am sure that it will strengthen the Irish language on campus and around the city”.

“The Irish language is hale and hearty, from what I’ve seen, I am sure of it”, she added.

In a statement to The University Times, Ciarán Wadd, who served as Leas-Reachtaire for 2016/17 and was recently elected Reachtaire for the 2017/18 year, said: ”Táimid chomh sásta leis an méid oibre a tharla i mbliana leis na gradaim iontacha seo a bhaint amach. Gabhaimid buíochas leis an Oifig na Gaeilge as ucht an chabhair ar fad le chuile rud i rith na bliana. Is iontach an rud é go n-éiríonn chomh maith leis an nGaeilge sa Choláiste seo agus táimid chomh sásta ag obair ar a son. Go leanfadh an dea-obair ar aghaidh amach anseo!”

Aonghus Dwane, Trinity’s Irish Language Officer, said that the latest award “are testament to the exceptional passion, idealism and commitment of Trinity’s Cumann Gaelach, with whose leaders it is always a privilege to work”.

“We are extremely proud of their achievements, which demonstrate that Irish is alive and flourishing in Trinity, and are delighted to be able to provide support and assistance to the Cumann each year”, he said.

The society is one of the most active in Trinity, with one of the largest memberships of all the college’s societies and is a regular winner at the Central Societies Committee (CSC) annual awards, winning Best Large Society this year.

Prof Joe Barry, Coiste na Gaeilge Chairperson said in a press statement that the award is a “testament to our students’ passion for our native tongue that this award as gone to Trinity College’s students for the fourth year of the last five. Their energy, imagination and sense of what is important in our culture is an inspiration to all of us and we are privileged to work with them”.

The society were also congratulated by Secretary to the College, John Coman, for the credit they brought to Trinity. The society also won campaign of the year at the Union of Students’ in Ireland Student Achievement Awards for best campaign, recognising their work in Éigse na Tríonóide, the annual Irish language festival in Trinity.

Sinéad Baker contributed reporting to this piece.