Live: DUFC VS Terenure College RFC

Jake O’Donnell, Simon Foy and Alex Peters provide live updates from College Park as DUFC fight to ensure its survival in Ireland’s top club league.
3:37 PM

DUFC 27-25 Terenure College | Full-time

That’s all for us at The University Times this afternoon. Join us next season for more rugby action and analysis #RollTide

3:34 PM

DUFC 27-25 Terenure College | Full-time

All finished here with supporters making their way to the Pav for a well-deserved drink. The significance of this win cannot be overstated for Smeeth’s side. Another year in Ireland’s top club division will be invaluable for Trinity to attract top players straight out of school and further develop the club. The day has ended on a positive for both sides with Terenure also avoiding the relegation play-offs with results elsewhere going their way. No doubt both teams will be celebrating late into the night.

3:31 PM

Head Coach, Tony Smeeth, is all smiles after Trinity’s sensational survival.

Jake O'Donnell

It was just unbelievable. Fantastic! I can’t describe it really. I didn’t think we were going to win.
It was phenomenal and that was the try of the year that last one. You won’t see many trys better than that in College Park.

— Tony Smeeth, Trinity Head Coach

Alex Peters | 3:26 PM

DUFC 27-25 Terenure College | FULL-TIME

Terenure College will be disappointed to have lost that game, but the Trinity players will be delighted to have avoided a relegation play off during exam season.

Jake O'Donnell

Jesus. I’ve never cried with joy on a rugby pitch before. It’s just sensational. Jesus. I am lost for words. Sorry my mind isn’t really working right now.

— Colm Hogan, Trinity and Irish u20 full-back

3:17 PM

DUFC 27-25 Terenure College | Full-time

What a finish! After Terenure turned the ball over on their own ’22’ and cleared it down field, it looked like it was all over for Trinity. They recovered it and ran the ball back from inside their own ’22’, drawing-in Terenure’s desperate defenders and putting Maupin into space on the wing. An exciting end to a crunch encounter and a brilliant end to Trinity’s first year in the All Ireland League (AIL) Division 1A.

3:12 PM

DUFC 27-25 Terenure College | FULL-TIME

Delirium on College Park as a last minute try from winger Tim Maupin from a break inside their own ’22’ metre line ensures DUFC’s continued position in the AIL Division 1A.

An injured Trinity player on the bench sums up the pysical nature of the match.

3:10 PM

DUFC 27-25 Terenure College | 80 mins

TRY!!! for Trinity under the posts and converted by Fennelly! Trinity win!

Trinity compete for a line out as they look for one last try to draw the sides level.

Simon Foy

DUFC 20-25 Terenure College | 77 mins

Trinity go to the corner and have a line out just inside Terenure’s ’22’.

Jake O'Donnell

DUFC 20-25 Terenure College | 75 mins

The atmosphere has been turned up a notch in the last few minutes. Both benches and the crowd have become extremely animated. The small difference between the sides has set up a tense last few minutes.

Simon Foy

DUFC 20-25 Terenure College | 76 mins

Big call from the referee. Looked like Terenure had their hands in the ruck illegally but scrum awarded to Terenure on the halfway line.

Alex Peters

DUFC 20-25 Terenure College | 74 mins

Tony Smeeth looking animated on the sidelines, as Trinity fight to stay in this game.

Jake O'Donnell

DUFC 20-25 Terenure College | 74 mins

Irish U20 international Colm Hogan had been suffering with an injury but has returned to the field of play for Trinity. They will need him in these last few minutes.

Simon Foy

DUFC 20-25 Terenure College | 70 mins

Fantastic conversion from Fennelly from the right touchline. Only five points in it.

Terenure’s bench look on as Trinity reduce the difference to five points.

Sinéad baker for The Univeristy Times

2:55 PM

DUFC 18-25 Terenure College | 68 mins

Yellow card for Terenure’s number 5 just before Trinity’s try. Twelve minutes left.

2:55 PM

DUFC 18-25 Terenure College |  69 mins

TRY Maul pushed over for a try in the corner for Trinity.

Alex Peters

DUFC 13-25 Terenure College | 65 mins

These next few minutes will be crucial for Trinity, with a scrum on Terenure’s 10-metre line. Worried looks on the faces of Trinity’s supporters.

Simon Foy

DUFC 13-25 Terenure College | 64 mins

Big moment in the game. Trinity camped on Terenure’s line for several minutes. A wayward pass from outhalf, James Fennelly, pushing Trinity back with Terenure eventually forcing a scrum.

Terenure still lead 13-25 after 59 minutes at College Park.

2:44 PM

DUFC 13-25 Terenure College |  59 mins

Pressure building on Terenure’s try line as Trinity look for scores.

2:42 PM

DUFC 13-25 Terenure College | 57 mins

Scrum for Trinity less than 10 meters from Terenure’s line.

2:40 PM

DUFC 13-25 Terenure College  | 55 mins

Garryowen have rallied against Lansdowne, scoring twice, so points difference will be crucial for Trinity. They’ll need to get points on the board soon if they’re too avoid a relegation play off. Trinity need to stay within seven points of Terenure and hope that Lansdowne beat Garryowen by more than seven. Permutations in scoring are coming into play now. This is not what Trinity would have wanted coming into the match.

Simon Foy

DUFC 13-25 Terenure College | 54 mins

Terenure certainly the stronger side in this third quarter. Using the wind well to put some clever kicks in behind Trinity’s back three. Trinity need to start playing some rugby in Terenure’s half to keep their hopes of avoiding a relegation playoff alive. Now a two-score game.

Alex Peters

DUFC 13-25 Terenure College | 52 mins

TRY After strong pressure inside Trinity’s right corner Terenure drive over for a try. Swaine misses the conversion.

Alex Peters

DUFC 13-20 Terenure College | 50 mins

Penalty to Trinity in their left corner after strong pressure from their visitors.

Loading…

Powered by LivePress LivePress logo

Sign Up to Our Weekly Roundup

Get The University Times into your inbox every week.