Trinity Fencing Club Look Sharp at Nationals

Dublin University Fencing Club (DUFC) won four medals at the 2017 National Championships held in Loreto Abbey Dalkey this weekend.

Dillon HennessySports Editor
Phillip Cripwell of DUFC in training.

Though the teaching year may be over, DUFC’s members are not letting the break from lectures dull their edge. With over 100 entries across all fields, the Irish National Championships, hosted by Fencing Ireland, represent the pinnacle of competitive fencing in the country. The club enjoyed a stellar start on Saturday, with Pinks recipients Lucy Johnson and Phillip Cripwell taking bronze in Women’s épée and silver in Men’s foil respectively. Cripwell won the Men’s foil title last year and was only three points short of mounting a successful defence. Alumnus Lachlan Sykes took bronze in Men’s foil while Crystal Percival, who has been a consistent performer all year, took bronze in Women’s foil, to complete a four-medal haul on day one.

While Trinity excelled in the foil events, the next day’s sabre and Men’s épée titles eluded them. Sunday saw Stephen Concannon of Salle Dublin ease to victory in Men’s sabre, defending his title from last year. Kathryn Marshall of Foyle Fencing secured the Women’s sabre title. Imogen McGuckin, who started fencing for DUFC only this year, finished just outside the medal positions in sabre. Overall, the club placed second on the National Circuit Medal Table, just a single gold medal away from finishing first. This latest success caps a year in which they recorded a historic tenth consecutive Colours victory and which saw them crowned ‘Club of the Year’ at the Trinity Sport Awards.

In other good news for the club, alumnus and former Captain Maxton Milner finished second overall in Men’s épée at the Birmingham International, in a field of over 90 entries. Although DUFC’s season is officially over, Club PRO, Camille Hindsgaul, said in an email to The University Times that she is hoping for “good club representation at the Student 5 Nations, which will take place on the 24th of June”

Something to look forward to this summer then, for the members of a club that seems to thrive on competition.