Concerns Over Loan Schemes Cannot go Unaddressed

The deep concerns over the feasibility of income-contingent loan schemes raised this week must be looked at seriously, and urgently.

There are just a few months left before we are supposed to decide how higher education will be funded in Ireland, and those tasked with considering funding methods appear to be no clearer on what an income-contingent loan scheme means for Ireland, and whether it would work here at all.

Two reports from academics presented to the Oireachtas Education and Skills Committee this week told conflicting stories: one, that a loan scheme would be infeasible in Ireland and would cost the state €10 billion over 12 years, the other that such a scheme is the best way to finance higher education going forward. Committee members seem understandably confused, questioning everything from the methodology used to how each system would best improve access. Sinn Féin’s education spokesperson, Carol Nolan, a member of the committee, stated afterwards that a loan schemes would work in Ireland is “as clear as mud”. For those that want a well-informed decision for a sector that simply can’t continue without proper funding, this is a very concerning situation.

Such problems were raised in research by Dr Charles James Larkin and Dublin City University’s (DCU) Dr Shaen Corbet, including issues with getting graduates to repay their debt. Committee members categorically rejected New Zealand’s method of arresting graduates at airports and the Irish government has dismissed the US model of taxing citizens abroad. The report’s methodology has been attacked by university heads, who are themselves in favour of loan schemes. But, in a country with high emigration levels and where its highest earners often move abroad, no one has been able to state precisely just how the state is supposed to ensure the key part of a loan – the repayment – actually takes place at high enough levels.

Ireland has a chance to create a system that avoids the pitfalls other countries have faced and that have been raised repeatedly by the committee as key concerns. But time is running out and, despite report after report and presentation after presentation, we seem no closer to the best-for-all, consensus model the minister seems to want.