Final Issue of Nemesis Sets High Standard for Future Issues to Follow

The feminist journal launched its final issue of the academic year last night, providing an evening of thought-provoking creativity for all present.

Síle MaguireContributing Writer

Last night, in the intimate setting of the International Bar, the second issue of Trinity’s first feminist journal, Nemesis, launched its final issue of the year. Producing its first volume earlier this year, Nemesis has quickly become a platform for aspiring writers, poets, photographers and playwrights. The publication displays a plethora of inquisitive and innovative minds from both within and outside of Trinity who wish to create and discuss matters around feminist and racial discourse.

Both issues of the journal have gracefully balanced the impact of societal structures and social binaries, showcasing works on an academic and personal scale, ensuring that Nemesis is not only a literary journal, but also a place for the sharing of and empathising with a multitude of socio-political experiences. The launch of the latest issue illustrated this dynamic concept to all present. The evening invited relaxed conversation and mingling, and provided an opportunity for those involved to celebrate their work. Physical copies of the journal – with cover art designed by co-editor Laura McCormack – were placed at each table, allowing for the crowd to appreciate the work on offer.

The evening also included poetry readings by those who contributed to the journal, and by others who wished to share their own work. Performers included Christopher Joyce who presented his poem “HydroTherapy” to the group, which articulated the nature of recovery through cleansing, and questioned the meaning of the body with simple, yet evocative lines. Imaan Bari and Leo Dunsker challenged the traditional form of poetry as they artfully compiled their works from a stream of consciousness, whether it being derived from their Twitter feed or simply from a fleeting moment of human experiences. Callum Douglas questioned what it means to be Irish through spoken word, telling those present that there lies a depth of sadness and loneliness underneath the façade of “Guinness, Guinness, Guinness”’. Other readings included “Daylight Savings” by Sophie Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick and Bari will take over the role of editors from current editors, Laura McCormack and Jenny Moran, next year.

Finishing the event, both editors thanked the crowd for their attendance. Speaking to The University Times, Moran commented that “The readers were all fantastic. We are so proud to pass Nemesis on to Imaan and Sophie, and we couldn’t have done any of it without our amazing team.”

Moran then thanked all of those who have supported Nemesis stating that “the love and enthusiasm shown at both launches was incredible”.

The evening provided an open space for creativity energy amongst all those present, just as the pages of the journal will continue to strive to achieve in the future.