Trinity Shortlisted for European Award for Internationalisation Efforts

Trinity is one of four universities in Europe shortlisted for demonstrating best practice in the internationalisation of higher education.

Sinéad BakerEditor

Trinity has been recognised for its internationalisation efforts with a shortlisting for a prestigious European award.

Trinity is one of four universities in Europe shortlisted for the 2017 European Association for International Education (EAIE) Institutional Award for Innovation in Internationalisation, awarded to European institutions that demonstrate best practice in the internationalisation of higher education.

The association is recognised as the European centre for expertise, networking and resources when it comes to the internationalisation of higher education.

The final announcement will take place in August 2017, with the association assessing shortlisted universities by looking at their international partnerships, programmes for internationalisation and how institutions are integrating internationalisation into their strategic planning, including curriculum and infrastructure.

Part of a global trend, Trinity has placed increasing emphasis on increasing its number of international students, international research collaboration and ties with other universities around the world.

Trinity’s five-year strategic plan, launched in 2014, announced the College’s plans to increase the number of non-EU students in Trinity from 7.8 per cent in 2012 to 18 per cent in 2019. In April 2017, The University Times reported that Trinity’s Global Relations Office is estimated to meet 91 per cent of its target for income from international students in the 2016/17 academic year, in what the Vice-Provost, Chris Morash, praised as “impressive”.

Trinity has also expanded its alumni network to hold over 150 events held around the world, has appointed 20 Global Ambassadors within its on-campus Global Room and was accepted as a member of the prestigious League of European Research Universities (LERU) in 2016.

Ireland, as one of 14 countries in Europe where higher education institutions have a level of autonomy to set their own level of international students fees, has seen these institutions going to increased efforts to attract these students. Trinity, for example, has two full-time staff members and one part-time staff member working in the US, in addition to a North American Regional Officer and permanent staff members in China and India.

Such income from international students, who pay significantly more than EU students, has become increasingly important for Irish universities as they weather the ongoing higher education funding crisis. Trinity has repeatedly emphasised, however, that it does not view these students solely as an income source. Ian Matthews, Trinity’s Chief Financial Officer, has told The University Times that Trinity does not want to substitute EU students for non-EU students, and that non-EU students require investment, and are not simply a “cash cow” for the university.

Prof Jane Ohlmeyer, the founding Vice- President of Trinity’s Global Relations Strategy, which launched in 2011, and the current Chair of the Irish Research Council and Director of Trinity’s Long Room Hub, noted to The University Times in 2015 that “the world is noting that Trinity is engaging globally” and that this was having a positive impact on rankings.

“Once a student from Brazil, or from India, of from Mexico or from the United States has spent years here that link with Trinity and with Ireland is for life. I think it’s so important to build these global relationships. The key for me was to turn it into a win-win”.

A midterm review of Trinity’s globalisation strategy is currently underway and is expected to be released at the beginning of the next academic year.