Climate Change is a Problem We Can’t Solve Alone. But That’s No Excuse for Inaction

Students must realise the role they can play in battling climate change.

It was a small protest outside the US Embassy last week, but it seemed to offer hope of something greater. The protest, in response to US President, Donald Trump, and his decision to take his country out of the Paris accord, was our own local response to a move that shocked the world.

The protest may have been outside the US Embassy, but it was as much directed towards the Irish government as it was Trump. Eamon Ryan, leader of the Green Party, called it the start of the resistance and there was, despite the anger and despair, a mood of optimism among demonstrators – now is a time for things to happen.

The resistance should be directed at our government and politicians. Ryan is right – a cross-party, cross-generation approach is needed. Students have, in recent months and years, proved again and again that they’re not riddled with inaction. Students, especially in Ireland, have a strong track record of taking things into their own hands. Fossil Free TCD set things in motion by forcing Trinity to divest from fossil fuels, while only a few months ago the Dáil voted to divest Ireland from fossil fuels.

Indeed, the problem is too often government, not student, inaction. Despite the pro-divestment stance of the Dáil, the Irish government is doing little to actually combat climate change. Their draft plan, published only a few months ago, was labelled a “moral and legal failure”. The commitment to the Paris accord seems lukewarm at best.

Students, then, might provide the best example of success we have. Universities across the country have responded to lobbying, sit-ins and strong social media campaigns. Why can’t the government too? Ireland might never be leader against climate change, but it can be a leader in developing and pioneering renewable energy.

Which means the next few months are going to be crucial, as the Irish government maps out its response to climate change without the US. This is not the time to be cowed by Trump’s force of will or by the thought that climate change is too big a problem to solve without a postgraduate degree. We’ll soon have a new Taoiseach and perhaps even new elections. There is no time to lose.