Over 10% Increase in Book of Kells Visitor Numbers in 2017

The exhibition saw a 40 per cent increase in Chinese visitors.

Philip McGuinnessSenior Editor

The Book of Kells exhibition has seen a major growth in visitor numbers in the first half of 2017, with an increase of 10.6 per cent in numbers compared to the same period last year.

In total, 454,000 visitors visited the exhibition, one of Dublin’s most popular tourist attractions, during this calendar year up to end of June.

The largest cohort came from the US, with an increase of 8.6 per cent in US visitor numbers to the exhibition compared to the same period in 2016. Irish visitors accounted for the second largest number with an increase of 19 per cent between this year and last year. The world-famous exhibition has also seen a 40 per cent increase in those visiting from China.

In 2016, Fáilte Ireland named the Book of Kells Ireland’s fifth most-visited attraction for that year.

In a press statement, Librarian and College Archivist, Helen Shenton commented: “The continuing fascination with the Books of Kells is a reminder that people from all countries draw inspiration from Ireland’s past. We are very conscious of being stewards of probably the most famous medieval manuscript in the world.”

“We are equally conscious that visitors from around the world are awed and inspired by the Long Room”, she added.

The increase will be a boost to a college that has invested significant amounts of money in trying to attract tourists and boost visitor numbers. From hosting gigs to the creation of a new visitor centre, a renewed push to commercialise aspects of Trinity and its campus has been led by the College’s Commercial Director Adrian Neilan.

Trinity has long prided itself on the Book of Kells and, over the next few years, will begin the development of a new space for the book and its exhibition. Visitor numbers have slowly crept towards one million over the last several years and, based on the current trend, tourist numbers are set to reach 945,000 by the end of 2017. The College will also hope that an increased focus on marketing, as well as the development of a new range of luxury products, will secure Trinity’s place as a Dublin tourist destination.