70 Trinity Researchers Named in Government Funding Programme

The awards were announced by the government at an event in Waterford Institute of Technology.

Jack SchofieldScience and Research Correspondent

70 postgraduate and postdoctoral researchers from Trinity have been awarded funding from the Irish Research Council’s Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship programme.

Minister of State for Training, Skills and Innovation John Halligan announced the awarding of the scholarships at a launch event today in Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT). The scholarship programme is part of the government’s five-year Innovation 2020 strategy supporting research, science and technology development.
Speaking at the event, Halligan mentioned the programme’s support of talented young researchers: “We want to see the best and the brightest minds develop into the kind of creative thinkers and innovators that will drive new knowledge and discoveries and ultimately support economic growth and social progress.”

Prof Jane Ohlmeyer, Chair of the Irish Research Council, highlighted the diverse range of projects that the programme is supporting: “The Council’s Government of Ireland research funding plays a crucial role in ensuring that the Irish research and innovation system has access to a pipeline of exceptional research talent. Talent development across a diversity of fields and disciplines supports a strong and balanced research system which has the capacity to respond to new opportunities and address complex national and global challenges.”

The diverse nature of the programme is reflected in the variety of subjects that are being worked on by the Trinity recipients. Projects from Trinity researchers include research in the fields of medicine, physics, history, the social sciences and many more. Examples include work on gene therapies for retinal degeneration, family homelessness in the Dublin region and novel cancer treatment methods.

Sarah Case, whose PhD under the Ussher Assistant Professor in Immunology will be funded by a scholarship, said: “For me, it was a really great opportunity to continue my research under the supervision of Dr Sheedy in his newly established lab in TBSI.” She also acknowledged the valuable experience gained in applying to the programme: “For those who want to pursue a career in research it is also an excellent chance to gain some experience in writing a detailed grant application.”

The scholarships will provide researchers with a yearly stipend, contributions towards academic fees and limited cover for research expenses.