A Thrilling Night of Sushi, Sake and Cultural Immersion

Trinity's Japanese Society offered an insight into the vibrant and diverse culture of Japan.

Toby McCoyContributing Writer
Toby McCoy for The University Times

The Japanese Society offers students an opportunity to explore the vast culture of one of the world’s largest and most prominent nations. I was fortunate to be invited to the society’s latest event, which offered the chance to explore all that the club has to offer and speak with some of the 260 members. In the spirit of the occasion we were treated to a number of Japanese delicacies including sushi, Japanese crackers and sake, a popular Japanese rice wine. This reception was followed by a screening of dystopian Japanese thriller, Akira.

As I arrived at House Six, it was clear from chatting to the attendees that people were drawn to the society for a number of reasons. Some were native Japanese speakers or of a Japanese heritage seeking to explore their own culture while others had joined to further their interest in Japan as a cultural and social entity relating to their personal interests as well as their career ambitions. Another contingent had joined to take lessons in Japanese with more than 50 students enrolled in both beginner and intermediate classes taught by fellow students.

The society offers an astoundingly broad range of activities beyond these classes, with weekly events including anime screenings, Japanese culture appreciation events and guest speakers. Members have even gone on to engage with the Japanese Ambassador, who attended their Japanese film festival and the “Experience Japan” event, a celebration of Japanese-Irish culture.

The diversity of members is reflected within the society’s committee. Speaking to The University Times, Luke Hally, Chair of Japanese Society, cites his reason for getting involved as a means to develop his understanding of Japan as a whole. Public Relations Officer Jenny O’Keeffe, became interested in Japanese anime as a teenager and having already studied the language formally was keen to continue speaking it.

Arika Matsui, who is also on the committee, told The University Times a poignant story of how the society helped her assimilate into life at Trinity and indeed, Ireland, having lived in Tokyo until starting her studies. Having no cultural common ground upon arrival in Trinity, Matsui struggled to start conversations with her classmates, isolating her even further in her struggle to settle into a new, alien country. It is evident that Japanese Society offered a platform for Matsui to meet people who also had an interest in the culture she was raised in, allowing her to make deeper connections with those who were interested in her unique and charming personality, not her just her nationality. There is no doubt that many of the other native Japanese students have faced similar issues. Matsui proudly showed me a picture of the class she teaches, with well over two dozen smiling pupils. She was keen to point out that only a small number of members are actually Japanese as the massive member base is made up of all backgrounds.

It’s an exciting time for the society, which is now more than a decade old and membership is beginning to soar. Hally welcomes the fantastic growth that has seen the society more than double in size from 100 people just two years ago. With a huge variety of activities and a fantastically welcoming environment, Japanese Society is certainly one to check out for those interested in one of the world’s most vibrant and rich cultures.