After Calls for Diversity, TCDSU Introduces LGBTQ Committee

The committee was introduced after a motion was passed at TCDSU council.

Aaron FinneganJunior Editor
Guy Boggan for The University Times

This evening, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) voted to create a sub-committee for LGBT rights for students.

The committee will be run by the LGBT Rights Officer and one of the sabbatical officers. Prospective members of the committee will be chosen through a transparent application process. The committee will work to promote the rights of LGBT students in Trinity and raise awareness of LGBT causes around the College and the country.

The motion was carried over from the last council of 2016/17. This year, it was proposed by former LGBT Rights Officer and computer science representative Sean O’Carroll. In the motion, O’Carroll cited the need for diverse representation of LGBT students in the college community, and the inability of a single officer to do so as reasons for the introduction of the committee.

Speaking in favour of the motion, O’Carroll stated: “It was a recurring issue that no one student can cope to represent the voices of the queer community in Trinity.”

O’Carroll spoke to promote the committee, saying that he has spoken to a number of students in the LGBT community in Trinity in order to get a sense of the needs and the voices found around the college.

This year’s LGBT Rights Officer Noah O’Brien seconded the motion. O’Brien hoped that the committee would bring a higher quality of support to those affected by the issues brought before the council. They noted that the role had traditionally been filled by gay men and said they would “also like to hear from queer women”.

O’Brien said that this motion would “mean that I could bring a higher quality of support to more students”.

O’Brien urged the council members present to pass the motion and was met with applause.

This committee will aim to “bring a higher quality support and events to the LGBT committee on campus”.