DUBC Get Off to Winning Start in Season Opener

DUBC men’s first team enjoyed a comfortable win in their first game of the season, defeating Naas Serpents 65-39.

Aideen MallonContributing Writer

With a significant change in the squad from last year, Dublin University Basketball Club (DUBC) marked their return to competitive basketball with a victory over Naas Serpents in their first Division Three game. Having lost their captain for the first semester to the UniTech programme, DUBC were justifiably apprehensive about their performance in the coming season. However, with the addition of strong freshers, as well as exchange students from the US and Australia, the team triumphed in the sports hall in an impressive fashion.

In an issue that has plagued the team over a number of years, Trinity was left with just fifteen minutes to prepare the hall, welcome the guest team, set up the scoring system and warm up before tip-off. They got to work with military precision, but were left with very little time to physically and mentally prepare for the game ahead. Despite this, the game opened with a strong start from Trinity, winning the tip-off and streaking up the court for a two-point score from Manus Darby. Taking advantage of many missed shots from the opposition and relying on calm and precise scoring from small forward Robbie Fidgeon-Kavanagh, Trinity maintained a safe lead throughout the first quarter.

The second quarter saw Naas step up the intensity of their attack with an opening score in the first minute. Trinity were feeling the pressure of the opposition’s strengthened defence and missed many shots in the early few minutes. Nevertheless, Darby came through for the team yet again with two successful shots in quick succession, bringing Trinity’s lead to 10 points. As the end of the second quarter neared, Trinity began to slacken their defence, leaving space for Naas to tighten the scoreline to 27-24 in the hosts’ favour.

Due to the close score, the third quarter opened with panic and errors from both sides. Naas took advantage of DUBC’s lack of cohesion with successful free throws. Trinity’s Australian addition to the forward line, Tom Wilkinson, brought Trinity the confidence boost they needed with a skilful shot to great applause. Spurred on and finding their flow, Trinity stepped up their defence inside the box, taking advantage of Naas’s reluctance to shoot from outside. A promising third quarter finished with the home team leading 45-35.

Having found their feet, the final quarter showed the superiority of the Trinity team. A drop in stamina from the opposition along with evident frustration allowed Trinity the openings they needed to take the spoils. The final score showed 65-39 to the home team.

Speaking to The University Times, Robbie Fidgeon-Kavanagh, a small forward on the team, credited the talent of key players, including top scorer Manus Darby, to their success in the game. Referring to the difficulties of such a new line-up as well as a brand new coach, Fidgeon-Kavanagh said: “We’ve only had one session together before today so what we really need is just time to gel as a team and get to know each other.” Looking ahead to their match against Glasnevin next week, the players will hope that more time on the court will help them create the cohesion needed for success.