After Central Societies Committee Opposition, DUGES Vote Fails

The CSC warned that a successful vote would 'imperil' the future of DUGES.

Dominic McGrathEditor

After the Central Societies Committee (CSC) warned that a positive vote could “imperil” the future of the society, the motion calling for Dublin University Gender Equality Society (DUGES) to change their name has failed.

The vote came after protracted discussion between the CSC and DUGES, following the failure of the motion to go to a vote last term due to a lack of quorum.

After 20 votes were spoiled, 29 of 35 voters opposed the name change from DUGES to Dublin University Feminist Society.

Representatives of the CSC stressed that the opposition was purely constitutional. “It would be unconstitutional for any society to include the word feminist”, Fiona May said, arguing that a feminist society would break the CSC’s ban on societies taking political stances.

Speaking against the motion, the Chair of the CSC, Benn Ó hÓgáin, said that allowing DUGES to change their name would “open the floodgates” to other societies wanting to take political stances. He warned that a positive vote could “imperil” the future of the society, as its unconstitutionality would lead to it being de-recognised by the CSC, with “little chance” of it being re-admitted.

Despite calls from DUGES for voters to spoil their ballots in protest, the CSC warned that spoiled ballots would be deducted from the final count. This meant that, in the final vote, society representatives had little choice but to vote against the motion.

Speaking to The University Times before the vote this evening, the Chair of DUGES, Ciara Hamilton, said that “the CSC has had a lot more time to work out the implications of us changing the name”. It was a “lot more disorganised” the last time the proposal was brought, Hamilton said.

Since the failure to have a vote last time, DUGES has been meeting with the CSC to discuss how they can bring the motion to a vote. The opposition from the CSC comes from the organisation seeing the new name as “too political”, Hamilton said.

The motion was proposed by Trinity Literary Society, and seconded by DU Amnesty. The Treasurer of DUGES, Aoife Stephens, spoke in favour of the motion. “The society is its members and the members have voted unanimously in favour of this change.” She also highlighted the fact that a specifically feminist identity “is used to seek a space … where people of all genders are treated with dignity and respect”.

The current Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Gender Equality Officer, Aine Palmer, led the campaign to change the society’s name last year.

“The CSC stresses the fact that a society reflects its members. Our members see themselves as feminists, not as gender egalitarians”, Hamilton said.

Correction: October 8th, 2017
An earlier version of this piece and its accompanying headline incorrectly referred to the Central Societies Committee.

Niamh Egleston contributed reporting to this piece.