Law Soc’s Penny-Pinching, TCDSU Academic Senate, New Funding Deadline

Editorial Notebook BY THE EDITORIAL BOARD

Trinity Law Society’s (Law Soc) annual sell-out Masquerave is upon us again. What has become routine ahead of this event each year – and many other society events like it – is a competition that gives students the chance to win free tickets. But this year, Law Soc curiously decided to instead only offer the winner of its social media competition the chance to skip the queue. The lucky person still had to shell out cash and pay the full price. Its members have the right to ask: just what has prompted this penny-pinching?

One of the most frustrating parts of the Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union elections has always been how often the Education Officer role has been uncontested. The reasons why are somewhat unclear, but it’s probably something to do with the job being misunderstood and underappreciated by ordinary students. The new Academic Senate, which met for the first time this week, might just change that by paving the way for passionate, engaged and experienced Education Officers.

When Mary Mitchell O’Connor suggests Christmas as a possible deadline for another report on higher education funding, it’s hard not to be sceptical. The litany of missed deadlines – from the Cassells report’s publication to a decision from Richard Bruton – tells us enough. With hopes for consensus now rubbished, seemingly the best we can do is await a report that, while hardly expected to be revelatory, should at least precipitate some glimmer of progress.