Metropolis Returns to Light Up Dublin

Back for its third year, Metropolis Festival will transform the function rooms of the RDS into a dance floor.

Saoirse Ní ScanláinMusic Editor

Back for the third year in a row, Metropolis Festival will once again transform the function rooms of the RDS, Dublin into beatific dance halls this weekend.

A growing success for POD Presents since its launch in 2015, one of the best things about Metropolis has been watching it improve year to year. Metropolis Festival is a true product of what POD aim to achieve with their productions – that is, a musical, cultural and aesthetic experience that pushes the boundaries of run-of-the-mill concert going. Figuring out what works best for them, while still managing to create a lineup of music and conversation that attracts a diverse audience, means that Metropolis has remained one of a kind in Ireland.

Previous instalments of the festival have showcased some huge names in hip-hop, alternative rock, electronic and techno, from the likes of Vic Mensa, The Sugarhill Gang and Grace Jones to Crystal Castles, Moderat and Solomon. Pulling bigger and better names to the stages of the RDS each year, Metropolis will this year play host to a blend of more electronic-focused acts. A day shorter than previous years, the main festival will run over one day only, with a shorter opening party the day before. To make up for this, Metropolis has curated an incontestable lineup of acts, that near surpasses those from 2015 and 2016.

Unfortunately, cult-popular RnB act TLC were due to perform, but to the dismay of many they had to pull out of their tour due to injury. Replacing them, however, are four new acts, including electronic DJ Denis Sulta who has gained notoriety following a number of cutting-edge appearances this summer. DJ Jazzy Jeff was also announced. Once Will’s best friend in The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Jazzy Jeff is now known for his feel-good, clever hip-hop and RnB sets. Having worked closely with Will Smith at the beginning of their musical careers, Jazzy Jeff runs off a huge accumulation of his own work and others’ contemporary hits. His mixes are far from monotonous, with an ability to mix pace and style seamlessly.

Minimal electro-house DJ Richie Hawtin is booked to play. This will be Hawtin’s first appearance in Ireland in a while and his first festival appearance since Forbidden Fruit in 2015. Having won the 2017 DJ Award for Best Electronic Live Performance against the likes of Bonobo and Nicolas Jaar, Hawtin’s performance is much anticipated. Other international performances include Mount Kimbie, Laurent Garnier, Death in Vegas and FJAAK.

Metropolis makes a conscious effort to include Irish and local acts in their line-up, something that attendees appreciate. Giving many Irish artists an opportunity to come home and play, Derry born DJ Or:la and Dublin-raised alternative electronic vocalist Bonzai are this year’s lucky winners. Both ladies are now based in the UK. Or:la is a consistent stunt-woman behind the decks, transcending electronic styles by bringing them all together. Described in Thump as “one of the most underrated DJs on the UK circuit at the moment”, she will be right at home in the industrial halls of the RDS. Bonzai has toured with Mura Masa, and is arguably one of the most talented vocalists to come out of Ireland in a while. Cool, sexy and empowering, her sound is unforgettably eclectic. You’ll have a great time at her set. Local DJs Papa Lou and Tara Stewart will also play, along with our very own Trinity Orchestra.

Collaborating again with Red Bull Music Academy, Metropolis Festival will present an interesting conversation lineup for those who want a break from their ringing ears. This year will hear Neil Barnes of Leftfield and a panel discussion with AVA Festival’s Sarah, ELLLL, Nialler9 and District Magazine among many more.

Installations for the festival come together through both commission and submission. Last year presented a take on an Andy Warhol installation of huge silver balloons and a pyrotechnics stage outdoors. Metropolis Festival always manages to find a way to make its installations give the concrete RDS a softer feel, while facilitating the sounds of the festival. It is always intriguing to see what they will pull off.

Tickets for the festival are sold out, but you’d be wise to track one down if you haven’t already.