The Hist Faces Backlash Over Farage Invitation

Nigel Farage is speaking to the Hist in the beginning of 2018 and will receive the Gold Medal for Outstanding Contribution to Public Discourse from the society.

Eleanor O'MahonyDeputy Editor
Róisín Power for The University Times

The College Historical Society (the Hist) is facing backlash after inviting former UK Independence Party (UKIP) leader Nigel Farage to receive an honour from the society.

On social media last night, the news that Farage would speak to the society in 2018 triggered anger. In the Hist’s members’ Facebook group last night, previous and current members alike condemned the decision to invite Farage, who was described in Facebook posts as a “white supremacist” and a “racist”. Farage, who has taken credit for the UK’s decision to leave the EU, is scheduled to speak to the Hist in February 2018.

A lot of this anger stems from the decision to award Farage the Gold Medal for Outstanding Contribution to Public Discourse. Just last week, the Hist gave the same medal to noted civil rights activist Al Sharpton, while singer-songwriter and poet Patti Smith is one among many illustrious names to receive other awards from the society in recent years. Over the course of a long political career, Farage has often batted off accusations of racism and xenophobia, defending his own actions and comments, as well as the actions of his party.

Former Auditor Michael Coleman, posting in the Facebook group, noted his “disgust” at the invitation of Farage: “As an ex-Auditor, it’s genuinely upsetting that a society I poured so much of my college life into would give a platform to (and present an award to) virulent racism and white supremacy.” Coleman said that he hoped the committee “sees sense and withdraws the invitation”.

A screenshot posted in the Hist’s Facebook group displayed a post in a private Facebook group by the current Auditor of the society, Paul Molloy. Defending the decision to present a medal to Farage, he said: “The medal is not an endorsement of any view or action, anymore than votes on motions, debates or panel discussions are. The society does not take corporate positions on issues and nor should it.” He also spoke of the variety of guests invited to speak to the Hist this year: “The Society is hosting a number of individuals who are both pro-European and have made contributions to both integration and defending the single market.”

Responding to criticism levelled at the Hist for awarding Farage the society’s medal, instead of simply inviting him to speak, Molloy said in the private Facebook group post: “As with all of our addresses, the event will be followed by a Q&A open to the public, which all members can attend and place their concerns to him in person.”

When contacted by The University Times, Molloy declined to comment.

Various members of the society posted in the group, criticising the decision to invite Farage and questioning the motivation behind it. One member, posting in the group, asked whether the society wanted to “fill the chamber to the brim on the back of controversy”.

In recent years, Trinity’s societies have been increasingly scrutinised for the guests they invite to speak on campus. Earlier this year, the Society for International Affairs’s (SOFIA) event with the Israeli Ambassador to Ireland was cancelled after a protest by Students for Justice in Palestine blocked his entry to the lecture theatre.

Correction: 12:55, October 6th, 2017
An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that Patti Smith received the Gold Medal for Outstanding Contribution to Public Discourse. In fact, Smith received the Burke Medal.