Trinity Battens Down Hatches, as Storm Ophelia Approaches

Trinity’s staff has spent the morning preparing the college for the worst storm in decades.

Dominic McGrathEditor
Eleanor O'Mahony for The University Times.

Trinity’s staff has spent the morning preparing the historic college for the oncoming storm Ophelia, with campus closed and Front Gate closed to visitors.

Staff in Estates and Facilities visited buildings across campus, ensuring windows were closed and no stray objects were left lying around.

Speaking to The University Times, the Director of Estates and Facilities Paul Mangan said: “We don’t have much experience of this type of weather.”

All precautions are being taken to guard the campus against the storm, he said. “No particular parts of College are vulnerable,” Mangan said; “but we’re worried about the entire campus.”

From being worried about the basement all the way up to the roofing Winston Salem, last minute preparations and repairs are being done to protect as much as they can.

Leaves have been cleared from drains, in case of flooding, while a post-storm inspection is already planned for this evening.

While Dublin is not expected to bear the brunt of the storm, Trinity is doing all it can to prepare for the kind of weather rarely seen in Ireland. “Our buildings are sound and they are strong”, Mangan said. Residents on Trinity’s campus have already been warned of the dangers of leaving windows open – Estates and Facilities staff knocked on doors and visited residents in some parts of campus this morning to ensure that advice was heeded.

Estates and Facilities are working to ensure campus is safe.

Dominic McGrath for The University Times

Security staff will be trying to keep out anyone who doesn’t have “essential business” in Trinity, Mangan said.

While it remains unclear what kind of damage the storm might cause Trinity, the university plans to open tomorrow, he said.

Trinity Hall is also taking precautions for the storm. Speaking to The University Times by email, the President of the JCR, David Ola, said: “We are encouraging everyone to stay inside unless they must make a journey somewhere. Everyone can call security in reception at halls if any issues arise and there are Assistant Wardens around.”

“Make sure to call your house warden if anything happens or you need someone to talk to. Your safety is of utmost importance”, he added.

The Department of Education and Skills released a statement on Sunday evening, saying that all schools, colleges and other education institutions should remain closed on Monday.

Trinity, alongside colleges across the country, listened to the advice. After initially planning to remain open, the Director of Public Affairs and Communications in Trinity, Tom Molloy, told The University Times: “Trinity College Dublin will be closed on Monday following the status red wind warning. All students and staff are urged to stay away from the university unless they have an urgent reason to attend. Access to the main campus may be limited. Residents, and anybody else entering the campus, are urged to take extreme care.”