Trinity Ladies Hockey Club in First-Round Exit from Irish Senior Cup

In their second game in two days, Trinity were left to regret a slow start as they suffered a 2-0 defeat to Lurgan in Belfast.

Aideen MallonContributing Writer
DULHC

After a tough defeat the day before at the hands of university rivals University College Dublin (UCD) in the EY Hockey League, Dublin University Ladies Hockey Club (DULHC) travelled to Lurgan on Sunday seeking to forget the demons of the day before and plot a course to the second round of the Irish Senior Cup. Having suffered a loss against Lurgan in the EY Hockey League last April, the team were determined to prove themselves in their second  game in their rival’s territory.

Unfortunately, it was not to be, as Lurgan weathered a strong Trinity fightback to emerge 2-0 winners.

The Sunday morning journey across the border, coupled with the fatigue borne of two games in two days, meant it was a sluggish opening from Trinity. Being on home turf, Lurgan capitalised on their advantage with a full attack from the outset. Lurgan’s Sarah McClure brought the home team to 1-0 within the first five minutes, leaving Trinity to fight an uphill battle. After a breakdown in Trinity’s unity in the latter stages of the first half, Lauren Wright managed to grab Lurgan their second goal, evading the Trinity goalkeeper and profiting from the visiting team’s slow start. The first half closed without a score from Trinity.

After a rousing team talk, an invigorated Trinity stepped onto the pitch with renewed energy and determination. Trinity began throwing everything at Lurgan in an attempt to turn the game around, including two shots which hit the post and many close wides within the first 15 minutes. A strong defence from Lurgan prevented promising moves from Louise McCollum and Susie Osborne resulting in a goal.

At the other end of the field, Trinity’s defence battled hard against the Lurgan attack, keeping the score at 2-0 despite the decision being made to take off goalie Carolyn Crampton to allow an extra attacker. A controversial green card for Sally Campbell dashed Trinity’s hopes of a goal and instead saw them defending a hit out from Lurgan. Trinity continued to drive for a score in the final few minutes but were unable to find a chink in the Lurgan defence, and the game finished 2-0 to Lurgan.

Despite their disappointing loss, DULHC will be hoping to recuperate and return with vigour for their upcoming intervarsities in two weeks time.