Trinity Ladies Make it Two in Two With 3-1 Win Over DCU

DULAFC saw off a worthy DCU side to continue their winning start to this year’s Division One campaign.

Paul NugentContributing Writer

Dublin University Ladies Association Football Club (DULAFC), fresh off their 3-1 win over Institute of Technology Tallaght (ITT), was hoping to go out and build on that result in the second game of the season, under the control of new coach Daniel Hobbs, against a tough Dublin City University (DCU) side.

The game kicked off on a brisk day in College Park and it didn’t take long for the deadlock to be broken as Captain Aine Tucker ran onto the end of a beautifully slotted pass from midfield before placing it to the outstretched DCU goalkeeper’s left to make it 1-0 in the first minute of the game, ensuring an emphatic start for Trinity.

It wasn’t long before this lead was doubled as a cross was swung in from the right hand side by Tucker, landing perfectly at the feet of Sara McGeough, whose shot was turned into the goal after a deflection off a DCU defender.

Trinity continued to create chances, playing a high-pressure style of football which eventually paid dividends in the 22nd minute when McGeough chased down a DCU defender, dispossessing her in the final third before running through on goal and slotting it under the oncoming keeper, making it 3-0 to Trinity.

DCU eventually managed to pull one back in the 35th minute. Following a solid passing move by DCU, the ball fell at the edge of the box to Claire Geraghty who unleashed a stunning strike only for it to thunder off the crossbar. Elisa Corcoran was quickest to the breaking ball to slot it into a virtually open goal.

After the half-time break, Trinity didn’t seem to be happy with a 3-1 lead, and continued to play the same high-tempo, attacking style of football which had seen them go into the break at 3-1 up. After a scramble for the ball at the edge of the DCU box, McGeough was taken down by a mistimed tackle, causing the referee to award Trinity a penalty in the 52nd minute. McGeough stepped up to take the penalty, choosing to put it to the keeper’s right but was denied in spectacular fashion after a great save from DCU’s Maria Byrne, keeping it at 3-1.

Despite chances at both ends, neither side could increase their tally and the game ended 3-1, marking Trinity’s second win in a row by that margin, leaving them with six points from six and a great chance at qualification for Intervarsities.

A standout performance came from Tucker who found herself constantly involved in play, making clever runs and playing key passes which were critical to the link-up play that saw Trinity control the game. McGeough seemed tireless, constantly chasing down defenders and loose balls. This, combined with her skill level and tactical awareness, made her a key player. DCU’s Emma Boyle put in a great shift as central defender, controlling her back four and preventing Trinity from increasing their lead on several occasions.

Trinity take on Maynooth at home in two weeks time and will no doubt be hoping to maintain their excellent start to the season.