Trinity Men’s Hockey Loses Cup Game 3-0 to Annadale

The defeat means all eyes will turn to the league campaign.

Cormac WatsonDeputy Sports Editor

After getting its first win of the league campaign the day before, Dublin University Hockey Club (DUHC) went into its first Irish Senior Cup game against Annadale Hockey Club with momentum behind them. Despite this, Annadale started the stronger of the two teams. The club kept possession for long periods and threatened Trinity’s goal early on. Trinity’s attacking efforts were limited, largely due to the efforts of a well-organised Annadale defensive unit.

Annadale’s first goal would come nine minutes into the first half courtesy of a neatly finished short corner. Two minutes later, they added to their tally with a penalty flick that was buried into the top corner of the Trinity goal. Trinity had an opportunity to get back into the game after winning a short corner on the 15-minute mark, but Rory Nichols’s drag flick was just saved off the line. Ten minutes later Trinity won another short corner. The initial drag flick was saved but Trinity’s Robbie O’Hanlon was first to react and his reverse-stick shot glanced off the Annadale crossbar and over.

A Trinity goal could have put them firmly back in contention but after a third Annadale goal 30 minutes into the first half, the game looked to be over. Trinity managed to keep the heads up in the second half and its  fortunes improved. Trinity had more possession and won a number of short corners, none of which were converted.

Trinity’s keeper Hugh Lavery made a number of good saves to keep the visitors scoreless in the second half. Lavery was one of Trinity’s stand-out players and kept the score line respectable. Trinity’s players were visibly frustrated with their performance in the second half. The team made Annadale look a lot less threatening than in the first half yet failed to avail of the opportunities. Trinity’s frustration was epitomised in the final minute when an annoyed Cillian Hynes was yellow carded for a rash tackle.

The game finished 3-0, leaving the Annadale supporters who had made the journey down from Carryduff satisfied with the win. Trinity can take solace from the fact that Annadale compete in the EYHL, although the players will still be disappointed not to have scored. This is the end of the road for Trinity in the Irish Senior Cup so all eyes now turn to the league. Trinity will have to wait until November 4th for its next league match when it takes on Weston Hockey Club.