Wanderers Stay Focused to Secure Win over DUFC Women

DUFC Women’s team lost out 35-19 to an organised Wanderers side yesterday afternoon.

Dillon HennessyContributing Editor

Beaten by Wanderers in the Division Four Cup Final last March in a bruising encounter, DUFC’s women lined out in Ballsbridge today hoping to secure a measure of revenge. Coach Jane Leahy didn’t need to provide her charges with any extra motivation as Trinity, in the shadow of the low, late October sun, began the game with a score to settle.

Niamh O’Kelly Lynch, who featured prominently in last season’s showdown, got the visitors off to a storming start when she collected the ball inside her own half and burst through several tackles to dot down over the line. Wanderers dealt well with the shock and awe of a Trinity side crackling with energy, easing its way back into the game with some methodical attacking play.

In a frenzied opening, several attacks were held up over the Trinity try line after determined defending from the visitors, but Wanderers were not to be denied, and finally crashed over the line for a try just minutes after Trinity’s score.

Unfortunately, the game had to be moved to a secondary pitch just a few minutes later, when a try-saving tackle from Trinity left a Wanderers player with a broken leg.

The terrible nature of the injury and the break-in play seemed to galvanise Wanderers, whose players surged over the try line for their team’s second score, just moments after the restart. Now Trinity found themselves in a real battle, and possibly as a result of the interruption, the players’ focus was beginning to slip. Several missed tackles allowed Wanderers in for that all-important score right before half-time, leaving Trinity with a psychological mountain to climb.

The second half proved to be a wide-open affair, with both teams trading scores as defensive discipline slipped and gaps appeared for runners to take advantage. Sarah Beckman made sure Trinity profited, scoring Trinity’s second, before poor tackling allowed Wanderers to re-establish a two-try cushion far too easily. O’Kelly Lynch wasn’t going to go quietly though, and another excellent break from the second centre saw Trinity close the gap once more.

Wanderers defence bent, but did not break, under the pressure from Trinity, and rather it was the visitors who lost composure with the comeback in sight. Demonstrating the excellent organisation that has served them well in previous clashes with DUFC, the team’s players exploited the space left behind Trinity’s back line well, allowing them to score two more tries before the close and kill.

While Wanderers were deserved 35-19 winners in the end, Bridget Collins of DUFC was the outstanding performer on the pitch, full of running throughout. DUFC Captain Molly Boyne was also in great form, as she has been for the past calendar year, providing spirited leadership from the pack.