Architecture Tidbit: Samuel Beckett Theatre

A stylistic look at one of Trinity's most unique buildings.

Robert HoltonSenior Staff Writer
Róisín Power for The University Times

Positioned in the northeast corner of New Square, the Samuel Beckett Theatre stands tall and grand, like an ancient tree at the centre of a forest. While it works in perfect harmony with the other trees of the forest, as a building it could not be more different from its neighbours. It’s the under-the-radar cool kid who wore Cos in playschool, the spicy Dorito of a multipack. It is cool, bold and aloof in equal measure. It radiates theatricality from its very bones. The vertical mass of the south facade standing on wooden stilts and the oak panelling fading into a silvery grey are reminiscent of the snow-white hair of an OAP. Perhaps it is most beautiful at dawn, with the rising tangerine sun illuminating the east wall in a warm bath of ochre light.

Upon entry, a visitor moves through the stilted facade under a dramatically low overhang. The experience is akin to venturing into the mouth of a cave or an old medieval townhouse. You are met by a curved glass window to the right and a wooden stairway to the left. This is the principal staircase of the building, a compact spine. The warm, wooden hues lend a domestic character to the space. These steps lead to the first floor, which splits into two airy, double height vaults. The main theatre is to the rear, its breeze-block walls smothered in a dark cloak of black paint.

A monumental tripartite window adorns the front of the building, with views of the rugby pitch and New Square. Inside is the common room belonging to DU Players, presided over by a large white tiger perched regally between vials of glitter and vintage adidas. Overhead lies the rehearsal rooms and a smaller performance space, all of which are capped with a pyramidal slate roof, perhaps a nod to the Ulster Bank towers in the distance.

Aptly, the architects De Blacam & Meagher attempted to reinterpret a timber Shakespearean playhouse with their design. They are also responsible for the Atrium, the beamed wooden interior of which bares striking similarities to the Samuel Beckett Theatre. Indeed, De Blacam & Meagher seemed to have drawn from a multitude of curious structures when plotting the building. One of which was the Teatro del Mondo, a temporary floating theatre designed by Aldo Rossi and the crowning jewel of the 1979 Venice Biennale. It was a tall wooden box of similar personality.

On a whole, the building is one of the most idiosyncratic on campus, providing a home for the quirky, the shooting stars and the glitter aficionados. It is a creative mosh pit, an intriguing bubble where reality blurs like a mirage. It fulfils its role with beauty and precision, a classic case of “theatre by name, theatrical by nature”.