Catríona Perry on the Trail of Trump

The RTÉ journalist discusses her time in the US and what she learnt about the country that voted for Donald Trump.

Nadine FitzpatrickContributing Writer
Brian Dobson interviews Catríona Perry at the Dublin Book Festival.
Shauna Donnelly for The University Times

Catríona Perry has a lot to smile about. The month of October saw the announcement of her appointment as one of the co-anchors of RTÉ’s Six One News’s new line-up. She was also awarded the Woman of the Year in Media award by Tatler, and the month also saw the release of her first book, In America: Tales from Trump Country. The book has just been short-listed for an Irish Book Award for Non-Fiction, as well as hitting the number one best-seller spot in Dublin Airport’s bookshop. “I must be using up a lifetime allowance of good fortune in one go”, she recently wrote in an Instagram caption. But ultimately, it is Perry’s enduring grit that got her to this point in her nearly two-decade career as a journalist.

This week she will return to the States for the last time as RTÉ’s Washington Correspondent, admitting to Ryan Tubridy on the Late Late Show that she will “miss it madly”. In January 2018 she will take up her new role, with undoubtedly a lot more to look forward to in her career.

In America aims to introduce readers to the many seemingly inconspicuous reasons why Donald Trump was elected as the 45th President of the United States, over his rival, Hillary Clinton. Perry travels the Appalachian region of the States, interviewing a variety of charismatic and memorable Trump supporters. Her attempt to get an in-depth analysis of his victory is not futile. By chapter five your mind will be spinning with information, as the book is so well researched.

Perry wants to bring the voices of the real people of America, outside the talking heads and the polished TV pundits, to a wider audience

Statistics back up all of Perry’s statements, allowing for a full picture to be painted for the reader. In America is an amazingly insightful, thoughtfully written, fascinating account of 2016 America. The real triumph of this book is how Perry brings the politics of the US down to earth, as it can boggle the mind of the most dedicated follower of politics. For Irish audiences and beyond, In America is a must-read.

Talking to The University Times over email, Perry explained that she had planned on writing a book at the end of her term in America, but hadn’t thought of doing it before then because of her very hectic day job. She was then approached earlier this year to write a book for publication in 2017, explaining how Donald Trump was elected President. It seemed that people, especially those outside of the US, were struggling to get their head around how such a huge electoral upset could have happened. That is what Perry has tried to do, “to bring the voices of the real people of America, outside the talking heads and the polished TV pundits, to a wider audience and to shed light on what is happening in the country”.

Will she write more in the future? She would “really hope to”, as she thoroughly enjoyed the writing process, finding it wonderful.

As Perry’s post as Washington Correspondent coincided with one of the most controversial terms of office ever. I wonder how she adapted? She explains that she doesn’t think she suffered from “culture shock”, having lived in the US before. Although things are very different here than they are in Ireland, Perry believes that the exciting part about working abroad, at any age and in any capacity, is that “you learn new things, new customs, to adapt”. She also believes that this is part of the fun of the experience.

The incident in the Oval Office involving Perry and Trump has been one of the most talked about moments of the year so far

Agreeing that the Trump presidency is something for the history books, Perry maintains that when you are professional journalist, you adapt to report on whatever you are presented with. The incident in the Oval Office involving Perry and Trump has been one of the most talked about moments of the year so far. Having initially declined all interviews and comment requests, she states she was “totally surprised” by the massive response. The requests not only came from Ireland and the UK, but also from media organisations in Japan, Australia, Nigeria, and Brazil.

“It was quite something”, she admits.

Perry’s hopes for the future currently are that herself and Keelin Shanley do a good job at filling their predecessors’ “excellent shoes” on the Six One News. Both women are excited about getting stuck into the new challenge, and the “fantastic opportunity” at hand. Her experience in America will be very useful when to comes to covering US stories, and when herself and Shanley must make those inevitable trips to the country. As her career takes a new direction, Perry, “will never forget my time in America, nor the wonderful friends that I have made there”.

In America: Tales from Trump Country is published by Gill Books, priced €22.99.