Continental Drift, Indian Literature and Amanda Knox’s Lawyer: Your Week Ahead

Trinity’s societies have another busy week of society events.

Niamh HerbertDeputy Societies Editor

With essay stress and deadlines mounting, take some time off from your busy schedule to enjoy some of the events that Trinity’s societies have lined up for this week.

Monday

Join the Society of International Affairs (SOFIA) at 6pm in Room 3131 of the Arts Block for its event, “Continental Drift”. Continental Drift will be an informal evening of debate and discussion about the most pressing issues in international affairs. Topics to be discussed at the event include: the political situation in Zimbabwe, the “fall” of ISIS and the future of Islamic terrorism, the crisis on the Korean Peninsula and the independence of Catalonia. People can wander throughout the room, from group to group, to talk to others about the issues dominating world politics.

Tuesday

At 6.30pm in the Global Room, Trinity Literary Society (LitSoc) and Trinity Indian Society are teaming up to host an Indian literature discussion. India is a linguistically-rich country with 23 official languages and well over 100 spoken ones. This Tuesday, LitSoc will be focusing on Urdu and Bengali works, with discussions in English. Yammeena Mitha will discuss Urdu literature and linguistics. This will be followed by a reading from the work of Rabindranath Tagore, the first non-European winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913.

Wednesday

The College Historical Society is presenting Jung Chang with the Burke Medal for Outstanding Contribution to Public Discourse through the Arts, this Wednesday at 3.30pm in the Graduates Memorial Building. Chang is a bestselling author and historian focusing on Chinese history. Her award-winning autobiography Wild Swans has sold over 20 million copies worldwide and was met with critical acclaim globally on its release. Chang has also written numerous works on Chinese history, including Empress Dowager Cixi: The Concubine Who Launched Modern China and the best-selling biography, Mao: The Unknown Story.

Do you consider yourself to be knowledgeable on the subject of literature? If yes, you should definitely partake in LitSoc’s LitQuiz. Join LitSoc at 7.30pm in the Hairy Lemon for the LitQuiz! For only €2, or €5 per team, you can enter and be in with the chance of winning a great first prize!

Thursday

In Arás An Phiarsaigh Room 0.19 at 6pm, Trinity Animation Society will be holding an Animation Tutorial. They’ll be using OpenTunes, animation software used by critically acclaimed studios like Studio Ghibli! Not to worry if you haven’t attended previous tutorials with the Animation Society, they’ll welcome you in and show you the ropes.

Friday

Trinity Law Society will be welcoming Carlo Dalla Vedova to speak this Friday at 3pm in Room 2041B of the Arts Block. Dalla Vedova represented Amanda Knox in one of the most sensational trials of the 21st century. Vedova now works as a lawyer specialising in commercial, civil, public, private and criminal law with Dalla Vedova Studio Legale. Dalla Vedova Studio Legale is one of the most prestigious Italian international law firms.