FLAC and TCDSU Unite Against Homelessness

Students took part to raise awareness of the homelessness crisis in Dublin and to raise funds for the Peter McVerry Trust.

Niamh HerbertDeputy Societies Editor

For the third year in a row, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) and Trinity Free Legal Advice Centre (FLAC) held their “Sleep Out” event in Front Arch to raise money for the Peter McVerry Trust and to also raise awareness of the homelessness crisis in Dublin.

Founded in 1983, the Peter McVerry Trust is a charity set up by Fr Peter McVerry aimed at bringing attention to and tackling the homelessness problem. The charity had very small beginnings, but it has since grown into one of Ireland’s most well-known charities. The charity’s website simply states that the charity aims “to reduce homelessness and the harm caused by drug misuse and social disadvantage”. The charity is currently heavily involved in the issue of social housing and providing it to the homeless.

A solemn and respectful event, the Sleep Out took place on the evening of November 2nd from 8pm to 7am this morning. The event is intended to show that the students stand with those who are suffering from homelessness. The event is also a fundraiser, which raises much-needed funds for the amazing work carried out by those at the Peter McVerry Trust.

In preparation for the event, FLAC reached out to local TDs, senators and councillors, hoping that they would be willing to help the cause. Senators David Norris and Ivana Bacik made an appearance on the night to show their solidarity with the cause. Fianna Fáil’s Jim O’Callaghan also popped by to help raise funds for the cause and FLAC was also expecting Independent TD Maureen O’Sullivan to pay them a visit last night. FLAC was very thankful to the politicians who, unfortunately, couldn’t attend on the night, but instead sent donations.

To partake in this event, students were asked to raise €50 for the Peter McVerry Trust before the night, and so the students involved each carried out their own fundraising for the main event. On the night, there were bucket collections taking place. As well as this, the donations made by politicians will contribute to the overall sum of funds raised.

Speaking to The University Times, the Chairperson of FLAC, Paul Carey, explained that “student involvement hasn’t had as much of an impact on the issue of homelessness as it has on other student movements like Strike for Repeal and Students Against Fees, but I do think that anyone who does pay attention or get involved will help a significant amount”. Student movements help to highlight social issues and bring them to the forefront of the media and policy-makers’ minds, so it’s very important that students involve themselves in such pressing issues like the homeless crisis.

Stephen Sheil, the Citizenship Officer in TCDSU, who helped organise the event, told The University Times: “Students and members of the public donated generously and it’s really a super cause. Taking part in the event really opens ones eyes to the struggle of a homeless person.”

“Even though we only did it for one night you could get a sense of just how vulnerable rough sleepers are to the elements”, he added.

Homelessness is an ever-growing problem in Ireland, and, sadly, it’s not improving as time goes by. In 2016 alone, 4,584 homeless people in Ireland were helped by the Peter McVerry Trust, and hopefully that number will rise by the end of 2017. With events such as the Homeless Sleep Out helping to raise funds and awareness, hopefully FLAC and TCDSU can have a good influence on students and help to get them involved.