Irish Sport Isn’t Immune to Ethics Crises, Trinity Conference Told

Obsession and commercialisation dominated, as Oisín McConville, Joe Canning and more discussed ethics in sport.

Matthew MurphyAssistant Sports Editor

Trinity played host to some of Ireland’s best known sports personalities today at a conference on sports ethics.

Speaking to a rapt audience at Trinity’s Long Room Hub today, some of Ireland’s best-known sports personalities –
including Oisín McConville, Joe Canning and George Hamilton – addressed the thorny subject of ethics in sport. Hosted by the Department of Religion and Theology, the event organiser and moderator, Dr John Scally, promised “food for thought” as the day began.

The lack of an entry fee to the event offered a welcoming atmosphere and ensured that a sizeable but enthusiastic band braved the early morning cold and lure of a Saturday lie in to share in each other’s company, as they tackled one of sports lesser discussed issues.

Former Armagh footballer Oisín McConville kicked off proceedings by speaking of his battle with a gambling addiction. Recalling his youth, McConville told the audience that he determined early on that he wanted to avoid the Troubles that had provided a vivid and vicious backdrop to his childhood. Identifying Gaelic football as the best way to avoid becoming caught up in the violence of the 1970s, McConville was determined to be the best. “I spent every waking hour on that field”, he confided. However, at the age of 14, McConville’s life changed as he began to gamble. By the time he reached 17-years old, football had taken a back seat. He comments that he wished that the support for gambling addiction that exists now was around when he was a kid. Now countries around the world have begun to take it seriously. Some countries have help in place for those who find themselves dealing with the addiction. You can read more here – https://esportare.se/ovrigt/information-om-spelpaus/. Like many dealing with the addiction he believes that had the support and regulation been in place, it might not have consumed his life.

McConville spoke passionately of how his addiction wasn’t just limited to financial problems. Describing himself as emotionally bankrupt, he outlined the deterioration of his relationship with his family and friends. He revealed that at the time he was gambling “to win back everything”. For McConville there was no “lightbulb moment”. It took a series of events before he eventually checked himself in for a 13-week treatment program in 2005. He concluded by imparting an alarming statistic: people who play competitive team sports are three times as likely to develop a serious gambling problem. Of course, anybody over a certain age is able to gamble whilst using, and downloading apps like 918kiss to win some extra money. But the real test is knowing your limits and when to stop, especially before you’ve lost everything that you’ve worked hard for.

Next to speak was Fintan Drury, CEO and founder of player representation firm Platinum One. As one of professional football’s leading agents, Drury gave his insider’s perspective on the darker side of the beautiful game. He spoke first of a young player he had represented who was playing for a major club in the Premier League. The player in question had stormed out of his manager’s office having informed him that he would not play for the club again. The player was subsequently diagnosed with a mental breakdown and received professional help. However, upon his rehabilitation, Drury was informed that the player in question was to be released on the manager’s orders.

He went on to speak of the shady dealings that many football clubs find themselves involved in during the transfer season. Beyond the whimsical nature of Jim White’s ties, football transfer season has a nasty underbelly. Naming several leading managers with whom he had negative dealings, including Sam Allardyce and Steve Bruce, Drury left many in the audience with a drastically different impression of the challenges faced by those trying to make it in the world of professional football.

In his talk, sports historian and author Mike Cronin of Boston College strongly rejected the theory that Irish sport is more ethical than other nations. Highlighting the raft of problems Irish sport faces, including allegations of match fixing in the League of Ireland, an “endemic” gambling problem among leading GAA players and apparent corruption among leading sports administrators such as Pat Hickey, Cronin suggested that we face as many ethical dilemmas as other sporting countries. He suggested that the amateur nature of our largest sport, the GAA, means that we face distinct challenges not comparable to any other country. Cronin concluded by saying that we hold our athletes to such high moral standards that they become impossible to meet.

Also speaking in the morning session were Gareth O’Callaghan, who spoke of the the importance of good mental health in sport, and former Irish soccer international and Kerry footballer Dr Kate Liston, who addressed the growing issue of concussions in sport.

Following the heavy nature of the morning’s conversation, comedian PJ Gallagher was on hand to lighten the mood after lunch as he regaled the captive audience with tales of his early comedy career and how he got his big break on “Naked Camera.” Gallagher had the crowd in hysterics as his now famous “Naked Camera” encounter with the late Bill O’Herlihy was played. He joked somewhat sheepishly his main claim to fame was being the “only man to make Bill O’Herlihy curse in private”.

Next to speak was newly crowned Hurler of the Year Joe Canning. Speaking candidly with Scally, Canning with an enthralling and strikingly humble guest. In a wide-ranging interview, Canning touched on several topics, including the adversity his Galway side overcame on their way to a championship crown. Chief among these were the tragic deaths of teammate Niall Donoghue in 2013 and the great Tony Keady just weeks after the semi-final.

Canning also spoke of his difficult relationship with the media. In 2012 he was roundly attacked for off-the cuff comments made to reporters about Henry Shefflin. Canning admitted that for a long time he struggled with the expectations placed on him. However, following his parents’ diagnosis with cancer, Canning realised that there were more important things in life than the media and the weight of expectations he faced.

He concluded by talking about the work he does as a Unicef ambassador. A role he has held since 2010, he will travel to Aleppo later this month to help document and raise awareness of the great work done by Unicef volunteers. As the interview concluded, Scally presented Canning with the “Fair Play” award.

The event concluded with talks by RTE commentator George Hamilton and Sunday Game analyst Colm O’Rourke. Hamilton, who has been the voice of Irish sport for some of its greatest triumphs, drew upon his almost quarter century of experience to delight the audience with some fascinating anecdotes. Covering topics from the Seoul Olympics to Italia 90 and the 2010 World Cup, Hamilton was a captivating guest.

Addressing the question of ethics in sport, he drew upon the example of Paulo DiCanio, who was famed for furiously pushing over a referee, but later refused to score a goal into an empty net following an injury to the opposition goalkeeper. He also addressed the aftermath of the Munich Olympics and questioned whether the games should have been suspended following the murder of 11 Israeli athletes. He was also keen to laud Manchester United midfielder Juan Mata for his ethical stand in creating the Common Goal project, which is aiming to encourage footballers to donate some of their earnings to causes around the world.

O’Rourke, who as a member of the infamous Meath teams of the 1970s, 80s and 90s, acknowledged that he and his teammates would not normally be associated with any great code of ethics. However, he argued eloquently – if at times controversially – that the GAA’s move towards commercialism is ethically repulsive. The leaders of the organisation, he said, are creating a policy that is corrosive to the core goals of family and community. Focussing particularly on the Sky Sports deal, O’Rourke stated firmly that it is against the principle on which the game was founded.

Speaking to The University Times after the conference, George Hamilton expressed his delight at having been asked to speak. “I enjoy sharing experiences”, he said. “I got a great deal of help when I was starting out from people like Bill McLaren and Cliff Morgon at the BBC, which is where I began in Belfast. So I always enjoy anything to do with college of any description.”

Scally had pledged “food for thought” as the day began, and certainly followed through on his promise. As the audience began to amble home, some possibly passing the aftermath of yesterday’s rugby match in College Park, they would have to confront a new way of looking at sport.