Joey Bada$$ Takes the Olympia by Storm

Joey Bada$$ was back in Dublin, delivering a hot, sweaty and politically impassioned performance.

Saoirse Ní ScanláinMusic Editor

Describing it as “one of the greatest cities in the world”, Joey Bada$$ played a sold-out show in Dublin’s Olympia Theatre on Monday night. The city is finally becoming a hub for hip-hop appreciation, and Bada$$ is just one of many hip-hop artists making sure Dublin has a date on their tour lineup. Hailing from New York City, Bada$$ has been coming to Dublin to perform since 2013, allowing Dubliners to follow the growth of his reputation first hand. Bada$$’s current tour celebrates the release of his most recent album, ALL-AMERIKKKAN BADA$$, and performing against the backdrop of a paisley design American flag, the show was as much an emotional, energy-filled exploration of racial inequality in the US as was the album itself.

A mostly male crowd made up an audience that rushed to the front as Bada$$’s DJ took to the stage to warm them up. He played a short mix of some hip-hop hits ranging from Cardi B to Snoop Dogg, before Bada$$ emerged as the audience chanted demands. His set list mostly consisted of hits from his last two albums, and with energy high throughout, the performance seemed shorter than the hour and fifteen minutes that Bada$$ was on stage.

Bada$$’s style is jazzier and more melodic than many of his contemporary counterparts, and there was a real emotional response from the audience to the drop of each track. Bada$$’s opening performance of his ScHoolboy Q collaboration ROCKABYE BABY set the tone, and the audience screamed “F*ck Donald Trump”! with middle fingers in the air. Attendees sang along to TEMPTATION and DEVASTATED, erupting into cheers upon hearing the opening notes of FOR MY PEOPLE. It was evident that those attending were true fans, both old and new. It was at times difficult to hear Bada$$’s own voice over the sound of audience members imitating his flow. Calling out for his “OGs”, Bada$$, at this point shirtless, played through some of his earlier tracks.

The small capacity in the Olympia allowed for an intimate show. It was hot, sweaty, political and impassioned from the outset – a feeling of solidarity between the audience and Bada$$’s lyrical cause roused people with fists held high. They did whatever Bada$$ requested, letting “the ladies come up front” and reciting lines of lyrics on request. Before the last few songs, Bada$$ urged those standing to push right up front, demanding a mosh pit. Teaching the audience a hook to the new, unreleased track PULL UP, the final beats of the night were heavy and loud. A responsive and now soaking-wet audience jumped and pushed, and one was left feeling sorry for those in seated stacks who couldn’t join in. The show finished abruptly, and Bada$$ swiftly exited the stage, denying requests for an encore as the lights came on. It was a show that exceeded expectations, but as Bada$$ seemed somewhat deflated at times, it was the crowd that really lifted it.

His ability to connect with the audience and his comfort on stage makes it hard to believe Bada$$ is only 22. His fans have come of age alongside him, and although he and many of his Irish followers are worlds apart, inside the walls of the theatre there was a feeling of incredible unity.