Late Own Goal Gives DUAFC First CUFL Win Over DIT

In a game of few chances, an error by DIT allowed Trinity to claim their first win of the season in the Colleges and Universities League

Barry MurphyContributing Writer

After three consecutive defeats in the Colleges and Universities Football League (CUFL), Dublin University Association Football Club (DUAFC) picked up their first points of the season at intercollegiate level with a scrappy 1-0 win over Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) today on a dull, cold afternoon in College Park. The game, short on quality, was decided by an error in the DIT box, giving Trinity a much-needed win.

It was DIT that got off to the brighter start, and they were very unlucky not to make their dominance count on the scoreboard on the 12th minute after a dangerous delivery from the impressive Adam Harney wreaked havoc at Trinity’s near post as the ball ricocheted off a red and black defender and onto the woodwork.

Off the hook, DUAFC reorganised their defence and under the leadership of Captain Robbie Gaul, they continued to soak up DIT’s pressure. Such was DIT’s stronghold on the game that DUAFC took 20 minutes to register their first shot on target as a feeble effort was saved comfortably by Aaron McKenna in the DIT goal.

DUAFC gradually grew into the game, with the energetic Jason Boateng stamping his authority in midfield, and it was now their turn to be denied by the post as Dylan Stacey cut in from the left wing and shot from 25 yards out. With the keeper beaten all ends up, the ball smacked the upright and careered back into play. As half-time approached, it was clear that both teams would need to offer more in the final third after the interval to take home the three points.

The second-half began without incident and it wasn’t until the 69th minute that it really sparked into action. After good work down the right, Dylan Stacey was played through on goal, but, having done the hard work and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way, his shot came back off the post once again. DIT replied with a great chance of their own a minute later. As they broke up the left, the ball flashed across the box to the unmarked Darragh Noone, who failed to meet it cleanly with his head and sent it wide.

In a game where physicality reigned supreme over quality, the stalemate seemed to be set in stone until some calamitous defending from DIT in the final minutes gifted DUAFC the lead and, eventually, the victory. With five minutes left on the clock, DUAFC won a free kick in DIT territory. The ensuing delivery seemed to be a harmless one until a lack of communication between McKenna and Jamie Broderick saw the ball loop over the former and into the top corner, via his centre back’s head.

It was by no means a pretty win for DUAFC but the old adage that ‘a win is a win’ is one that they will surely cling to, particularly given their poor form in the CUFL up until today. However, the side has had no such problems in their regular Leinster Senior League campaign. They face Beechwood FC on Sunday, with a chance to go to the top of Division 1B – having played two games less than current league leaders Mullingar Athletic.