Michelle Tanner Steps Down as Head of European Sport Network

Head of Trinity Sport Michelle Tanner is to leave the role she took up in 2013.

Matthew MurphyAssistant Sports Editor

Michelle Tanner, the former Irish volleyball star and Head of Trinity Sport, has announced her intention to step down as president of one of Europe’s largest sporting organisations.

Tanner will step down as President of the European Network of Academic Sports Services in the coming week. Tanner has held the role since being elected at the organisation’s conference in Limerick in 2013.

The body, which was founded in 1997, currently has over 120 members from 21 countries across the EU. Serving a pool of several million students across Europe, the body aims to increase participation in university sports by working alongside partners and sponsors to assist third-level institutions in developing their sporting culture.

During her time as president, Tanner has engaged in numerous projects, while also pursuing the growth of the organisation. Chief among her achievements was partnering with the European Commission for a #BeActive campaign. Significantly, she also leaves the organisation in a healthier financial situation, having secured lucrative sponsorship deals with companies such as Kukri.

In the organisation’s newsletter for November 2017, Tanner was optimistic for the future of the organisation she has helped build: “It’s been an inspiring journey which I have learned so much from. I am hoping to be able to contribute to the future of ENAS [European Network of Academic Sports Services] in an advisory capacity and I look forward to seeing new and old members (and more women!) step up to lead this brilliant organisation. We have created a movement and we must keep striving, together, to build a better and brighter future for University Sport.”

Throughout her term as president, Tanner has also served as Head of Trinity Sport as College has begun to seriously develop its sporting programmes. In recent years Tanner has spearheaded the revolutionary “Raising Our Game” project in Trinity. The strategy, which was announced in 2015, has seen €13 million invested into college sports. It ultimately aims “to re-establish the University as a leading force in all aspects of third-level sport”.

In an email statement to The University Times, the Deputy Head of Sport, Matthew Dossett, was glowing in his praise of Tanner’s contribution to both sport in Trinity and Europe. “During Michelle’s 4 years in the President position, the organisation has been invited onto various expert groups within the EU, along with becoming a key stakeholder on the European and International sporting stage. This is a true testament to Michelle’s drive to ensure the Universities voice was heard and had true impact.”

“The level of respect and support Michelle now has within Europe should not be underestimated, nor should the level of profile and exposure Michelle has produced on this level for Trinity and Irish University Sport”, he said.