Rainbow Week, Darren Shan and Salsa Dancing: Your Week Ahead

Get back into the swing of things after your week away from college.

Niamh HerbertDeputy Societies Editor

After either a quiet Reading Week spent in the library or a week spent doing anything but studying, get stuck back into College life with some of these amazing events that Trinity’s societies have prepared.

Monday:

On Monday, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) is collaborating with the College Historical Society (the Hist) for a very informative Rainbow Week event. At 5pm in the Graduate’s Memorial Building (GMB), the Hist will host a Burke Panel on the epidemic of HIV and its status in Ireland. The panel will be composed of Maeve Foreman, who worked as a senior medical social worker in HIV and AIDS for 15 years and is also currently a member of the Department of Health and Children’s Care and Management Sub-Committee of the National AIDS Strategy Committee, Tonie Walsh, who is an LGBT rights activist and founder of the Irish Queer Archive, Billy Flynn, a member of ACT UP Dublin, and finally Shaun Dunne, who works as a playwright and performer whose recent production Rapids, made in collaboration with several groups from the HIV+ community, explores the challenges of HIV disclosure and the stigma in the lives of HIV+ people in Ireland.

Tuesday:

At 3.30pm in the Global Room, Professor Gerry Whyte of Trinity’s law school will discuss the legal changes and potential impact of repealing Article 40.3.3, with a particular focus on Irish constitutional law. There are many questions to be answered regarding the repeal of the eighth amendment, and this discussion promises to shed some light on the issue.

Wednesday:

At 8pm in Tramline, Trinity Ents, DU Alternative Music Society (DUAMS) and DU Music will be hosting the first round of Trinity’s Battle of the Bands. There will be three rounds in total and the winners will be granted the opportunity to perform at next year’s Trinity Ball. Applications are still open, and anyone interested in showcasing their band’s musical talent is encouraged to enter and be in with the chance to come out on top with the once-in-a-lifetime prize.

Also on Wednesday, DU Gender Equality Society and Trinity’s Environmental Society are teaming up to host a workshop on EcoFeminism. At the workshop they will be discussing feminism, environmentalism, veganism, farming, poetry, ethical fashion, the patriarchy and much more. The event will be taking place at 5pm in a location that is yet to be confirmed, so keep up to date with the event on Facebook.

Thursday:

World-renowned author of fantasy and horror books Darren Shan will be paying a visit to Trinity’s Literary Society (LitSoc) this Thursday evening at 7pm in Regent’s House. Shan, who is Irish, rose to international fame with the success of his books Cirque du Freak and The Vampire’s Assistant. LitSoc is honoured to be hosting such talent, and promises an evening of very interesting conversation.

Friday:

DU Dance is hosting a salsa dancing course every Friday from November 17th to December 8th in the River Bar at 5pm. After this five-week long course, you’ll be guaranteed to be able to sweep anyone off their feet on your next night out!