Spotlight On: Trinity Indian Society

Simarjit Singh, President of Trinity Indian Society, speaks about the importance of celebrating Indian culture here in Ireland.

Niamh HerbertDeputy Societies Editor

After its recent celebration of Diwali, The University Times took the opportunity to speak with Trinity Indian Society (Indian Soc) about the importance of helping its members ease into university in Ireland, while also taking time to celebrate culture and traditions from South Asia to help create a home away from home.

Indian Soc is growing exponentially year-on-year, as the number of international students from the sub-continental area increases. The society aims to help these students settle into university life in Ireland, while also helping them feel at home during festive periods like Diwali. The society hosts events in which South Asian culture can be promoted and celebrated throughout campus. It also seeks to provide a social platform for South Asian students to meet and socialise with other South Asians on campus, alongside others with an interest in this rich culture.

Trinity is quickly becoming an increasingly international institution, not just with the hundreds of tourists that pour into the College each day, but also with the many students from many different countries around the world. The Global Relations Office, which looks after the international students in the College, says that there are students from 122 countries around the world studying here. There are many societies, Indian Soc included, which help these students to immerse themselves into Irish culture, but it is also important for these societies to share the culture and celebrate the traditions of their own countries.

President of Indian Soc, Simarjit Singh, believes that “celebrating other cultures is essential for integration” and that “incorporating other traditions into college life more accurately reflects the diversity of students and staff”. Singh shares a bit about his personal experience being South Asian and growing up in Ireland by explaining: “There were many aspects of my own culture that I was not aware of. There’s a growing number of first-generation immigrants who are now entering third level and just meeting those of the same cultural background as them or natives from the country they’re from.” Singh also notes that is one of his “aims” as president of Indian Soc to include fellow Irish South Asians in the Indian Soc events. “I believe”, continues Singh, “that allowing these students to be able to learn more about their own culture among people of their own age group is so important and celebrating events like Diwali gives an opportunity for Irish South Asians to integrate more with international students and experience their own culture in a way they may not have done before – to celebrate Diwali with friends rather than just family”.

Recently, on October 20th, Indian Soc held a celebration of the Hindu festival of Diwali (also known as the Festival of Lights). Singh described the festival in his own words as “the celebration of lights. And in a spiritual sense, it signifies hope over despair by celebrating light over darkness”. Although it’s traditionally known as a Hindu festival, the four-day celebration is observed by most Indian people. This year, Diwali was officially celebrated on October 19th and Indian Soc held its own celebration one day later as a part of the Central Societies Committee (CSC) Societies Week, held annually on the fourth teaching week of each academic year. Singh gives thanks to the CSC and the Global Relations Office here in Trinity as their help meant that Indian Soc was able to host a successful celebration of Diwali, with the event drawing in around 300 people. This event saw the people in attendance fed with biryani and Indian sweets, enjoying music and feeling closer to the festivities that were taking place at home in India. On Indian Soc’s Facebook page, it describes the society as a “home away from home” for South Asian students in Trinity, and celebrating festivals like Diwali definitely creates a homely feeling for those who attended. “Unfortunately”, jokes Singh, “storm Brian may not have been interested in celebrating Diwali, as rain prevented us from playing with sparklers but spirits were still high!”

Following on from the success of the Diwali celebration, Indian Soc have lined up a year full of exciting events. On the cards for November is a bhangra-themed night out with some punjabi beats which are guaranteed to provide a great atmosphere on the night. On November 28th, Indian Soc will be co-hosting an event with Trinity Literature Society as a part of its international lecture series. At this event, there will be talks given about Indian literature. Following the discussion, some light refreshments will be provided.