Three Wins from Four for Trinity Volleyball

Trinity Volleyball claimed victories in the student men's league, the student women's league and the league women's league.

Barry Murphy Contributing Writer

Trinity’s volleyball teams enjoyed a successful round of fixtures last week, with all teams but the men’s league team recording 3–0 victories, keeping up what has been a great start to the volleyball season.

Both the men’s and women’s volleyball student teams enjoyed hugely successful starts to this year’s campaigns. The men’s student team faced IT Tallaght and Dundalk IT in its opening two games and recorded wins without dropping a single set, winning 3–0 in both games. The women’s student team also got its season underway in impeccable fashion on Saturday, beating RCSI 3–0.

The league volleyball teams did not enjoy the same widespread success as the student teams. The women’s league team, however, kept up its winning start to the season, defeating Newbridge 3–0 on Sunday morning in Trinity. Trinity now has two wins from two games, having beaten the Garda team in Tallaght last month and hopes will be high for the remainder of the season. The team was led to victory by Heyley Chan, whose service game was particularly strong in the final set and which got the ladies over the line and secured the win.

The men’s league team continued its mixed start to the season with a 3–0 loss to Tallaght Rockets. Trinity was outclassed and out-jumped by a taller and stronger Tallaght team and were defeated comfortably in the opening two sets. Trinity showed great character and rallied in what was a much-closer third set, but it was too little too late as they left the Sports Hall empty handed. The performance was probably not a fair reflection on the strength of the Trinity team which, despite a disappointing defeat to IT Carlow last week, defeated reigning champions Garda on the opening fixture of the season. Despite this shaky start, Trinity proved it has the quality to produce a successful season.