A Very Trinitones Christmas

The Trinitones might have promised to steal Christmas, but instead the group delivered a night of rousing festive hits.

Katherine McPhieContributing Writer
Photo by Celia Hughes for The University Times

The theme of the Trinitones annual Christmas concert may have been “How the ‘Tones Stole Christmas” but the boys most certainly stole our hearts. With their debonair charm and silvery voices resounding in the Dublin Unitarian Church last night, the group had their audience captivated right from the beginning. A familiar venue for the group, the acoustics of the church gave a divine quality to the boys’ already heavenly harmonies. The 14 Trinitones, casually clad in sweaters on shirts and some festive Santa hats, were full of energy on stage, despite giving performances every night this week. Not just an acapella group but very much a close-knit group of friends, the Trinitones had a stage-presence and chemistry that was a joy to experience.

Newly appointed Artistic Director Andy Keenan did a fantastic job with the diverse set-list, which covered Christmas hymns, Irish folk songs, soul music, and a bit of Ed Sheeran thrown in for good measure. His predecessor, Neil Dunne, left him with big boots to fill, but Andy managed to find the perfect balance of songs to leave the audience feeling uplifted, festive and merry.

Proving the boys can entertain, as well as sing in flawless harmony, the three newest members of the Trinitones were put in the spotlight to showcase their “other” talents – splits, stand-up comedy and rapping ventriloquism – with talent-show-style skits giving the audience some laughs between the songs. Between them, the new Trinitones have brought a combination of experience and youth to the group. Ranald Macky, a former member of the University of Melbourne’s male acapella group the Trinity Tiger Tones, gave a silky renditions of “White Christmas” and Etta James’ “At Last”. Barry O’Connell, former member of the award-winning Alleycats acapella group from the University of St Andrews, and no stranger to the stage, performed an ethereal arrangement of White Winter Hymnal. Billy Behan, a first-year and the youngest member of the Trinitones, sang a light-heartedly tuneful duet of “Baby It’s Cold Outside”.

The ability of the Trinitones to invoke such a wide-range of emotions was astonishing. A sentimental rendition of “Timshel” left the audience with goosebumps: after “Raglan Road”, a strong sense of patriotism hung in the air, while a hilarious pop mash-up of “Shape of You” and “Cheap Thrills” left the audience laughing. A pitch perfect “In the Bleak Midwinter” closed the show with a truly festive feel.

Since the group began in 2012, the Trinitones have gone from strength to strength. Previous credits include sets at Electric Picnic, performances at Trinity Ball and Croke Park, and a tour of Australia. And their schedule is only getting busier. With many more endeavours coming up in the new year, the group’s also auditioned for Ireland’s Got Talent.