Five of the Best: Christmas Concerts

If you're a Christmas-loving concert-goer, we've got you sorted.

Saoirse Ní ScanláinMusic Editor

Finding things to keep you occupied during the Christmas season isn’t difficult in Dublin. Countless notable DJs and other artists will play gigs throughout the month of December, and with everything from light shows in the zoo to candlelit carol services, there is no shortage of festive activity. But if carol services aren’t your thing, and you want something a bit more upbeat or a little different, yet equally as Christmassy, we have you sorted.

National Concert Hall Christmas Show featuring The Snowman

This is a childhood favourite of mine, but it’s a wonderful show for all ages. It’s quite a pity more people don’t know about this Christmas show. Taking place from December 15th to 17th, the National Concert Hall’s yuletide screenings of Raymond Briggs’s animated Christmas fantasy film, The Snowman, have been running for years. Beautifully arranged for the orchestra of the National Concert Hall along with vocalists, the soundtrack is performed live as the film is projected onto a big screen. This year, the orchestra is joined by narrator Simon Delaney and comics The Nualas.

2fm Xmas Ball 17

Having raised over €400,000 last year, the 2FM Xmas Ball is coming back to the 3 Arena on December 19th, raising money for the ISPCC and Childline. More of a huge Christmas party than your typical concert, this year boasts a lineup of homegrown headliners. Following the recent release of their new album, The Script are set to be front and centre, joined by The Coronas, Wild Youth, Little Hours and local duo Hudson Taylor, with more to be announced on the night. Hosted by 2FM presenters, including Nicky Byrne and Jenny Greene, for the incredibly affordable price of €39.50, it’s a fantastic and charitable way to celebrate the run-up to Christmas.

The Whileaways Candlelit Christmas

Finding respite from the blaring of “Do They Know It’s Christmas” and “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” can pose a challenge this time of year. And we certainly know that for some, standing in the 3 Arena listening to The Script is the furthest thing from Christmas cheer as could be. In a Christmas installment of Steeple Sessions at the Unitarian Church on December 20th, The Whileaways will play an extra-special rendition of their unique blend of Americana and Irish folk just in time for Christmas. The perfect alternative to the monotony of a carol service, their angelic and alluring sound lets you sit back and close your eyes, as you sink into celestial beauty. The band really couldn’t ask for a more perfect venue, and in the flicker of candlelight, this concert will make you feel like you are gathered around the fire on Christmas night, surrounded by your nearest and dearest.

Vladimir’s Viennese Christmas

The National Concert Hall knows how to do Christmas better than any other establishment in Dublin. Choosing just two of the best from its lineup was tough. However, Vladimir’s Viennese Christmas on December 20th is set to be one of the most exciting of its Christmas shows this season. Violin sensation Vladimir Jablokov and his accomplished fellow musicians will transport you to the white and frosty streets of romantic-era Vienna with some of the most magnificent tunes of the time. Alongside orchestra-like contemporary renditions of The Pogues’s “Fairytale of New York”, among other Christmas favourites, this show will comfort you as much as it will surprise you.

New Year’s Eve Dublin 3 Countdown Concert

On the far side of Christmas, there is still plenty to keep you going. The Dublin City Council and Fáilte Ireland New Year’s Eve Festival is becoming a beloved yearly tradition in the city. Its biggest production, the New Year’s Eve 3 Countdown Concert will see Kodaline and Keywest headline at Custom House Quay on December 31st. It’ll definitely be a more relaxed way to spend New Year’s Eve, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Escape the pubs and wrap up. If Kodaline doesn’t excite you, the atmosphere certainly will.