More Construction for Nassau St Entrance

The final stage of the Nassau St entrance facelift is due to begin in January 2018.

Alanna MacNameeContributing Writer

The work that began on the Nassau St entrance last spring is set to be completed at the beginning of next year, with the temporary paving finally being replaced by a permanent surface.

Originally feted as a long-overdue update to an area of the college that was decidedly shabby, the refurbishment has been plagued by a number of setbacks in the intervening months.

In an email statement to The University Times, Bursar and Director of Strategic Initiative, Prof Veronica Campbell, confirmed that work would begin “in early 2018” to replace the current temporary paving “with the final version of the setts”.

Particular difficulty has arisen with the flooring of the development. Initially identified as central to the plans to improve the atmosphere of the entrance, the floor was planned to comprise of a tasteful merging of concrete and timber flooring, not unlike that planned for the West Gate floor at Regent House. Plans were put in place to have the floor comprised of timber floor coatings UV-Cured technology ensuring that the coating would last and prevent damage, however, regrettably, these plans were changed at the last moment.

Although wooden flooring was laid last spring, it appeared not to be appropriate, with damage resulting from general wear and tear not long after its installation. This wooden flooring was subsequently replaced with concrete slabs, and this temporary paving has been in place ever since.

It was noted at a College Board meeting in October that testing is currently underway to ensure the suitability of the proposed permanent material, with a view to the plan’s completion in early 2018.

Acknowledging the unsatisfactory nature of the initial execution of the works, it was noted that the College had communicated the same to the contractor involved. Overall renovation of the entrance had been contracted to ABK architects, the company that previously designed the Berkeley library.

The announcement comes just as work finishes on the Front Gate entrance. Over four weeks ago, the main entrance to Trinity was restored to the cobblestone style of 100 years ago. The entrance now consists of a “universal access pathway” of smooth granite with cobbles on either side, tying in with the stonework of Front Square.