Trinity Team Finds Horse Performance Linked to Key Nutrient

Research teams from Trinity and UCD found that regulating the nutrient could be key to ensuring horses reach their full potential.

Ciaran MolloyAssistant News Editor

Scientists from Trinity have helped prove that a horse’s genetic background has a significant influence on its performance.

The study found that a horse’s genetic make-up is key to producing a nutrient that is key to generating energy for prolonged periods of exercise, as well as developing a supplement to normalise the levels.

The research, which was conducted in conjunction with scientists from University College Dublin (UCD), was funded by Science Foundation Ireland (SFI). Production of the nutrient CoQ10 is vital for generation of energy in the mitochondria of the muscle.

The result is significant, as increases in the nutrient can lead to delays in fatigue, more efficient use of energy reserves, quicker responses and quicker recovery following long periods of exercise.

During trials, researchers found that thoroughbred horses that have a genetic type suited to exercise requiring stamina produced lower levels of the nutrient than other genetic types of thoroughbreds. Supplementation, however, can help restore it.

Researchers used the speed gene test to determine what genetic type each horse was. Designed to predict optimum race distance and early potential, the test splits horses into three genetic categories.

After nine weeks of feeding the supplement to horses, researchers found that the concentration of the CoQ10 nutrient increased significantly by 40 per cent.

Associate Professor in Biochemistry from Trinity’s School of Biochemistry and Immunology, Richard Porter, said in a press statement that “mitochondrial function is clearly an important variable in equine performance” and that the research would now be put into practice to further develop the field.

The results are yet another sign that the view of “one size fits all” when it comes to horse nutrition, despite similarities in breed or training, no longer stands up. There is a growing belief among experts that each horse has slightly different nutritional requirements which need to be catered to for them to achieve their full potential.

Several award-winning racehorse trainers commented on the discovery and said that it was a great example of how increasing research in the area of nutrigenomics, the combined study of nutrition and genomics to investigate a horse’s nutritional requirements based on their genetic make-up, is increasing horses capabilities. Jim Bolger, owner, trainer and breeder of horses that have won in multiple Group One races, said in a press statement that “this is another example of how genetic information can be used alongside traditional management approaches to get the best out of my horses”.