Women in the Arts, Into the Woods and Christmas Carols: Your Week Ahead

Enjoy the last few society events and Christmas concerts as the term winds down.

Charlotte O'ReillySocieties Editor

With Trinity Musical, a hot chocolate crawl and Christmas carols, this week is packed full of events to keep you sane as end-of-term deadlines start stacking up.

Monday:

This evening, Trinity Economic Forum and Trinity Politics Society are hosting an event that looks at how philosophy can affect politics. The speakers range from Trinity professors to a scholar from the Ludwig von Mises Institute in Auburn. The topics raised will vary from the impact of libertarianism and Confucianism on politics to how medieval Christianity affected political philosophy. If this even vaguely interests you, then I suggest you head to room 2041B in the Arts Block at 7pm.

Tuesday:

On Tuesday at 8pm, there’s an exciting event happening as part of Women’s Empowerment Week. Dublin University Gender Equality Society, FilmSoc and Players have come together to bring you a panel discussion entitled “Women In the Arts”. The panel will consist of women working in the creative art industries such as film, music and theatre and will take place in Players Theatre.

Tuesday evening also sees the Christian Union host their annual Hot Chocolate Crawl as part of their Festival of Hope. The crawl will commence at 5pm and will take you around all of the best hot chocolate spots in Dublin. Need I entice you any more?

Wednesday:

What gets you into a more Christmassy mood than Christmas carols? Nothing. And yes okay, it’s only the start of December, but some people having been planning Christmas since November 1st. So now that our obsession with the festive holiday is more socially acceptable, why not celebrate by attending the Boydell Christmas Concert. It will be held in the College Chapel with tickets only 5 euro for members and 8 euro for non-society members. It’s sure to have you counting down the days until Christmas, if you haven’t started already.

Thursday:

At 7.30pm, the JCR will present Trinity Hall’s version of Into The Woods. This award-winning musical will be performed by Trinity Hall’s residents. The annual Trinity Hall musical is always a must-see, as it not only showcases the talent within the Trinity community but is also the perfect way to lift your spirits. So, get in out of the cold and watch your peers give the West End a run for its money. The show will also take place on Wednesday at 7.30pm and Thursday at 4pm.

Friday:

Perhaps you’re beginning to feel culturally starved, as you slave away in the library for hours on end. If so, we have just the event for you. At 6.30pm in the GMB, DUPA will be showcasing its annual Christmas Exhibition. The theme for the photos this year is light. Furthermore, it is still not too late to submit three photos of your own to [email protected] to be considered for inclusion in the exhibition. Anyone else is welcome to tag along for the free food and drink at the event.