Magic and Mud at Quidditch Cup

Adverse conditions ended the Quidditch Cup early, which was moved from its original location in Trinity after heavy rain left pitches unplayable.

Aideen MallonStaff Writer
Mark Hill for Quidditch Ireland

On Saturday, Dublin played host to the annual Irish Quidditch Cup, a qualifying event for the European Cup. Representatives from across Ireland travelled to the capital to take part in the event. Due to take place in Trinity, the tournament was moved to Fairview Park after heavy rain rendered College Park unplayable.

Currently in Ireland there are two full Quidditch teams – Dublin Draíochta Dragons and Northern Wyverns – as well as three developing teams – Galway Grindylows, Mid-Leinster Moontrimmers and Cork Craikens. Competing this weekend were Dublin, Belfast and a composite “Galweinster” team, consisting of a selection from the Galway and Leinster teams.

True to the popular Harry Potter books from which the game was derived, each team consists of seven players – a keeper, two beaters, three chasers and a seeker who is released after 18 minutes of gameplay.

The game is full contact and mixed gender. As a sport invested in equality, each team may have a maximum of four of any one gender on the pitch at a time. Chasers attempt to score goals with the quaffle (a volleyball) and earn 10 points for their team for doing so. The beaters use dodgeballs to put opposing team players out of play. The snitch (a tennis ball inside a sock) is released after 17 minutes of gameplay, placed on the shorts of a neutral player for the seekers to catch. Catching the snitch earns the successful team 30 points and ends the game.

First onto the pitch were the Dublin Draíochta Dragons and the Northern Wyverns for the European Quidditch Cup qualifier. In a showing of skill and agility, the Dublin team triumphed and took the spot for the European Cup. The final score showed 140-10 to Dublin, after Dublin caught the snitch. Dublin’s players continued their success, winning their next match against Galweinster 110-10. Unfortunately, due to deteriorating pitch conditions, the final match of the day between Belfast and Galweinster had to be forfeited.

Representing a game that is growing in popularity, Quidditch Ireland is keen to establish the sport as a competitive yet inclusive pursuit. The National Governing Body is running a number of initiatives, including monthly camps focused on improving standards in the sport and welcoming new members.