Pro-Life Protesters Target Trinity for Second Time

The group, which targeted College last week, are positioned outside the Nassau St entrance with graphic images.

Kathleen McNameeNews Editor
Róisín Power for The University Times

For the second time this week, Trinity’s students have been targeted by pro-life activists.

Previously positioning themselves opposite Front Arch, the group are currently stationed outside the Nassau St entrance to Trinity. Wearing jumpers that say “reveal”, the group also have large images of aborted foetuses.

The group have spent time protesting outside several busy spots in Dublin in recent weeks including O’Connell St and outside Leinster House.

Speaking to The University Times at their last protest outside Trinity on Friday, Jean Engela, the Director of the Irish Centre for Bio-Ethical Reform, explained that the group were looking to start discussions with students and staff in Trinity.

“In our culture, we’re proposing in Ireland, to execute the innocent babies of rape victims and call that reproductive choice”, he said.

Engela reported that students had been willing to talk and conversations had been “quite rational and civilised”.

When the group protested outside Trinity last week, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union issued a warning to students from their social media accounts.

Last week students from Strike 4 Repeal dropped banners around Trinity and also attended the Strike Assembly outside the Dáil, as the pro-choice campaign continues ahead of a mooted referendum. The debate around the eighth amendment has seen the majority of Irish TDs commit to repealing the eighth amendment, which governs Ireland’s abortion laws.