Trinity Basketballers Beaten by Clinical DCU

Despite a brave effort from Trinity, DCU never looked in danger and ran out comfortable winners.

Cormac WatsonDeputy Sports Editor

On Monday night, Trinity Ladies Basketball Team took on Dublin City University (DCU) in Trinity’s sports centre. Trinity went into the game as underdogs so the game was always going to be tough. Although Trinity never looked like they would win they remained competitive for the majority of the game.

The first quarter began at a frantic pace, both teams creating numerous opportunities. It took three minutes for the first score to come courtesy of DCU’s Aoife Maguire after a great interception. Maguire quickly added another two points to her tally. After five minutes DCU were six points up and looked the stronger of the two teams. Trinity improved as the quarter wore on, with Shannon Brady scoring an excellent three pointer to open Trinity’s scoring.

DCU dominated the scoreboard for most of the second quarter, opening with a three pointer. Trinity managed to weather the storm and ended the quarter with a three-pointer courtesy of Mackenzie Rule followed by two successful free throws again coming from Rule. Trinity had finished the half strongly, but it was clear getting the win would be an uphill battle at 30-19 down.

Trinity started the third quarter well, with Brady picking up five points in the first three minutes with no answer from DCU. This dominance did not last and by the end of the quarter DCU’s players had stretched out their lead to 14 points.

The last quarter was a non-event, with DCU comfortably closing out the game. Trinity finished strongly with a three pointer but it was not enough. The game finished 70-44.

The scoreline did not reflect the competitiveness of much of the game but overall Trinity cannot complain. DCU’s ability to respond ruthlessly whenever Trinity got a score really set the teams apart. Notable Trinity performances came from Rule, who controlled the game well and got some great scores. Similarly Brady landed some excellent baskets throughout the game. DCU’s Tiffany Corselli was brilliant throughout, making excellent use of her pace and accuracy and causing Trinity a lot of problems. Next up Trinity take on Ulster University on February 9th.