Flood’s Noah’s Ark Event Doesn’t Sink

The entertainments candidate hosted the final event of his campaign in the Wiley Fox last night, dressed a Noah himself.

Ellen McLean and Louise McCormack
Ben Morrison for The University Times

David Flood proclaimed last night at Hall’s hustings that he may dream big, but that he can “pull bold off”. In the wake of last week’s successful opening night, Flood was given the chance to deliver on this promise, showing that he can consistently run well-attended and enjoyable nights out.

Yet if there was pressure to pull off a second night, it did not show. Flood’s campaign will be relieved this morning, as they have continued on the same successful trajectory they experienced last week at their opening event held in the Underground. In an email to The University Times, Flood said “it’s reassuring to see such enthusiasm and interest for our events and that so many people are getting behind the campaign.”

With last night’s event entitled “Noah’s Ark”, Flood continued to play on the nautical theme that has become a hallmark of his campaign. Whilst there may not have been an Ark, there certainly was a Flood, buoyed by his recent impressive performance in the polls welcoming people into the Wiley Fox, dressed in a beige robe with a wooden staff in hand looking every bit the part of Noah.

Despite last night’s venue being much bigger and more ambitious than last week’s, Flood showed his ability to still attract a significant and varied crowd, not falling victim to the curse of overestimation that many entertainments candidates have in the past. Yet it’s perhaps disappointing that despite being likely to gain 68.1 per cent of first-year student votes, in a poll of 1,060 students conducted by The University Times, and organising pre-drinks and a bus to transport students, Flood failed to muster much of a crowd from Halls to attend the event.

Whilst last week’s event showcased a diversity of acts and genres from indie rock to electronic last night’s event saw only one act, the Comic & Sans collective take to the stage to play a mix of popular disco songs, as well as some of their own original content. Comic & Sans proved popular with the crowd, who scarcely moved from the dance floor all night.

A number of candidates from across the election races were in attendance last night. Shane De Rís, Seán Ryan and Niall Harty all made an appearance, seemingly celebrating the end of hustings, events that can often be a gruelling and stressful occasion for candidates.