Four Trinity Subjects Ranked in World Top 50

English, classics, nursing and politics were ranked in the QS top 50 rankings.

Dominic McGrathEditor

Four Trinity subjects – English, classics, nursing and politics – have been ranked in the top 50 in the latest QS World University Subject Rankings.

The rankings, released today, place nursing at 25th, classics and English at 28th and politics at 43rd.

In a press statement, Trinity’s Dean of Research, Prof Linda Doyle, said: “This achievement is a testimony to the excellent globally competitive research our staff carry out, as well as reflecting the quality students that Trinity attracts.”

“It is particularly important that employers as well as academics were consulted for these rankings, demonstrating how well regarded Trinity graduates are by employers worldwide”, she said.

The rankings also place Trinity in the top 100 universities in 16 subjects, including history, languages, philosophy, law and computer science.

In three broad subject areas, Trinity was also well ranked. In arts and humanities, Trinity was ranked 57th, while in life sciences and medicine Trinity was ranked 87th. College placed 89th in engineering and technology.

Trinity has had something of an uneven few years in world rankings, falling in both the QS and Times Higher Education rankings alongside other Irish universities. College is currently ranked 88th in the world in the QS rankings and 117th in the Times Higher Education rankings.

The rankings will be a boost to a College that has blamed a decline in rankings on the lack of state funding for higher education.