Indoor Success for DU Harriers and Athletics

Sean Thompson was the cream of the crop for DUHAC on Friday, winning the triple jump and setting a club record.

Donal MacNameeSports Editor
DUHAC

Several athletes from Dublin University Harriers and Athletics Club (DUHAC) excelled at Friday’s Irish Universities Athletics Association (IUAA) Indoor Track and Field Championships. Held in Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT), the intervarsity competition saw Sean Thompson take first place in the triple jump, setting a DUHAC record in the process.

Thompson was not the only record-setter, at an event that saw almost 30 members of the club competing against the top athletes from colleges and universities around Ireland. With a time of 8.91 seconds in the 60-metre sprint, Kate Doherty also put her name in the record books, alongside Cliona Murphy, who finished third in the 1,500-metre event and Muireann McGinley who came third in the pole vault.

Capping off the records for the day was Malcolm Duquesney, who lost out in the 3,000 metre to Damien Landers of NUI Galway and Dublin City University’s (DCU) Gary Campbell – the latter set a new overall competition with a time of 8.16.81.

In the male pole vault, Conor Bermingham came agonisingly close to first place, his score of 4.10 metres only proving enough for a runners-up berth.

Trinity sports scholar Conall Hayes, who competed at under-20 level for Ireland last year, came fourth in the 800 metre, and to cap off a day of personal success, Doherty clinched a third-place finish in the long jump.

The club will take great pride in the impressive showings of several athletes, in particular the new records set at a tournament full of high-class athletes. They will look forward to Colours next week in Santry.