TCDSU Elections 2018

Over 20% Increase in Voter Turnout for TCDSU Elections

There was a 20.8 per cent increase in voter turnout compared to last year’s elections.

Aisling MarrenJunior Editor

This year’s voter turnout for the Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) was 3,768, a 20.8 per cent increase from last year.

Last year, 3,120 votes were cast for the TCDSU elections.

While last year’s elections were characterised by four uncontested races, this year several tight races and the controversy surrounding former presidential candidate Seán Ryan may have piqued the interest of student voters. In addition, a campaign to re-open the nominations was launched during voting this year, in protest at the lack of diversity among this year’s candidates.

The emphasis placed by many candidates on improving student engagement with the union may have been another factor in the increased turnout.

Voting drew to a close at 4pm today, after a campaign period that spanned almost two weeks. On the first full day of voting, 1,693 votes had been cast. This was despite confusion experienced by voters in St James’s, when polling was moved from its usual location. Voting was extended for an hour in order to mitigate this disruption.

Last year’s campaigning lasted just eight days, and events such as the Dining Hall Hustings and the poster run were sacrificed for the shorter election period. Voting last year lasted for three days, while this year it was extended to four.