Speaking With: Eve Belle

Trinity student and musician Eve Belle chats viral Coldplay covers and her upcoming EP.

Saoirse Ní ScanláinMusic Editor
Róisín Power for The University Times

Eve Belle is a singer-songwriter born in Dublin, raised in Donegal, and is now based back in Dublin, in the second year of her degree in Trinity. I had the pleasure of sitting down with Belle just hours before her performance at Whelan’s Ones to Watch for 2018 Festival.

Belle’s presence is just as mature and humble as her sound. She tells me about her upbringing in Donegal, one heavily influenced by what Belle describes as a “real pulse of music” focused around her homeplace, Gaoth Dobhair. “There was always music being played. In the house, in the car, everywhere. I guess I started playing music properly when I was about 9 or 10. I got this really crap guitar from Argos and I was like yeah, I’m gonna do this, I’m gonna learn the guitar,” Belle explains. From there, she taught herself using chord books or by figuring out tunes by ear. Even from a young age, it seems that Belle’s artistic process was incredibly organic, a characteristic still evident in her sound.

I guess I started playing music properly when I was about 9 or 10. I got this really crap guitar from Argos and I was like yeah, I’m gonna do this

As her confidence in her songwriting ability improved, Belle began to share her music on Soundcloud. “Some of it was literally on my iPod Nano, I would just record on that!” Belle laughs.

Belle attributes her current success to her supportive environment, saying, “I was lucky I didn’t have any negative experiences early on. [Playing] got easier and more enjoyable the more I did it, and it just fostered a real passion in me”. Belle experienced her first moments on stage at an open mic night organised by Moya Brennan of Clannad in Leo’s Tavern, Donegal. “[Brennan] did so much amazing work to nurture young musicians in Donegal. I know so many people who got their first opportunity playing on a stage, plugged in at the open mic. I remember her saying to me ‘You need to get a guitar with a pick up!’” Belle shares. Since then, a video of the singer-songwriter performing a cover of Coldplay’s “Violet Hill” was picked up by the band and shared on its social media: “That was so crazy, I didn’t even think they’d even see it, let alone share it! I woke up to so many messages.”

Now signed with Dublin-based record label Rubyworks, the last three years have been a time of progress and development for the artist’s young career. Having released a short EP called Sonder in 2015, Belle is keen to share her current experiences on her upcoming EP – “It’s going to be nice to have songs that are representative of where I am now.” For Belle, the songwriting process is, again, very organic. She says that she struggles to find the discipline to write: “I want to write songs that I can’t help writing. I think the best songs come from the most earnest emotions.”

Belle’s determination and professionalism are admirable, as she seemingly effortlessly juggles both music and academics

Belle has spent time writing with Ed Sheeran’s “Thinking Out Loud” co-writer, Amy Wodge. Reflecting on this, Belle notes, “I’ve just been so lucky with the people I have gotten to write with in the past.” Speaking about her upcoming EP, Belle mentions co-writers Simon Aldridge and Fred Cox, who have worked with the likes of Rag’n’Bone Man.

Now becoming well-established and catching eyes and ears across the country, things are looking good for Eve Belle. From a performance at Trinity Ball last year to her supporting role on Scottish band, Frightened Rabbit’s, Irish tour, Belle has again and again proved herself and is set to play a host of gigs in the coming year. Belle’s determination and professionalism are admirable, as she seemingly effortlessly juggles both music and academics. Keep an eye out for her. Belle’s upcoming EP will be released in the spring.