TCDSU Elections 2018

Who’s Running in the TCDSU Elections?

President

Shane De Rís

Why he’s running
“I’ve always said I wouldn’t run unless I felt I could actually do something to help students. I think with a position like president there is such breath to actually help people and I think it could be done in ways that are more effective and more helpful to students.”

Michael McDermott

Why he’s running
“I can’t remember if I ended up doing it or not, but I thought for the page I put up something that said ‘500 likes and I’ll run for president’. I can’t remember if I did that or not. But when I approached the idea, I got a lot of positive feedback from it.”

Paul Molloy

Why he’s running
“The student voice is something that is quite important to have. I feel for a lot of students, they don’t realise that’s what the SU is meant to be. That’s what the SU does. And I kind of want to change that.”

Sean Ryan

Why he’s running
“To be honest coming to Trinity has been a fantastic experience for me. It’s been one of the best things that I have decided to do in my life. I just want to create that atmosphere on campus, an environment that will allow other students to flourish as much as I have in my time at Trinity.”

Education Officer

Aimee Connolly

Why she’s running
“I got the training in student engagement and it was then I realised that this is something I have quite a strong passion for and I really am interested in academic issues and that’s when I started thinking about running for Education Officer.”

Welfare Officer

James Cunningham

Why he’s running
“My experience really increased my passion to stay involved with welfare in College. I’ve just had continued involvement with the welfare committee this year, which has really inspired me to stay involved and keep going with it.”

Communications & Marketing Officer

Niall Harty

Why he’s running
“Trinity has changed me for the better I feel like I can give back to the community that has done so much for me. Basically I feel like I’m the best guy for the job. I feel like the best way to give back to the community that helped me so much is to apply my private sector real-world skills.”

Paraic McLean

Why he’s running
“I love the SU and I have been a member since I was in first year. But there’s a lot of people who aren’t engaged with the SU. I think Úna Harty has done a lot this year by using social media in a very different way. I think that’s what really attracts me to it.”

Cian Rynne

Why he’s running
“I have pretty much the skills necessary to take on that role. It sounds like a joke but it really is a serious thing to do. I was also pretty annoyed last year that nobody was running for anything. Anyone with the skills necessary should be able to take on the role. That is the point of the democratic elections.”

Entertainments Officer

Matt Dundon

Why he’s running
“I have worked in events ever since I came to college. I mean the inspiration was really that I have worked really hard at this and I would love to bring the skills I have learnt and apply them officially to the College.”

David Flood

Why he’s running
“I decided to run for Ents basically because like I care about it. I’m also running for Ents because I think that I would represent as wide a base of students as possible. I think I would do the best job for the most amount of students.”

Editor of The University Times

Michael McDermott

Why he’s running
“I was already running for the president. What I realised when I was filling out the form, I realised you can actually tick off all of them. We played with the idea of contesting every position.”

Eleanor O’Mahony

Why she’s running
“I do everything the editor does except for a few things. I’m there for the important decisions, I’m editing different pieces, I’m managing different teams, I’m communicating with all of the staff, and I realised that I’d love to do that, and be on top of that, and have my own year to do that.”