Ahead of Trinity Ball, TCDSU Offers Drug Safety Advice

Yesterday, the Ana Liffey Drug Project talked to students about safe drug use.

Eva CraigContributing Writer
Dominic McGrath for The University Times

With Trinity Ball only two weeks away, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) organised an event to educate students on drugs and drug-harm reduction. The event was run by the Ana Liffey organisation, which works to educate students on drug use.

The organisation’s aim isn’t that people stop taking drugs – the message yesterday was that everyone returns home safe.

Facilitator Nicki Killeen opened the talk by acknowledging that there will always be risks taking drugs. So how do you square this with the fact that people are always going take drugs?

Yesterday’s event offered tips on consuming drugs safely and guidance about what to do if you or a friend gets into trouble.

Speaking to The University Times, Dawn Russell, who also led the talk, said: “Never mix drugs and alcohol, pick one or the other.” Cocaine mixed with alcohol is especially dangerous as together it creates a new chemical called cocaethylene. Consuming these is a very big risk to take as it causes strain on our body’s organs. Also mixing ketamine and alcohol is very dangerous, as it combines two sedatives and causes nausea.

Another useful piece of advice given by Russell was: “If you are going to use drugs, take a test dose.” Pills are made to be broken for small dosages. For people trying a certain drug for the first time they often don’t know how it will affect them as drugs affect everyone differently. It is vital to take a small amount of the drug and observe the reaction, which usually takes two hours. This will ensure that people don’t experience overdoses and that they know what to expect when taking it.

“Always go to a welfare or first-aid tent if something goes wrong. You won’t get into trouble if you have taken something”, Russell explained. It is not illegal to have taken drugs, only to possess them. So if you have taken a drug yourself or if you are worried about your friend, take them to one of the medical tents.

They also gave other vital pieces of information: to always drink water but not to be over hydrated, to take breaks from dancing, to have a plan with friends as what to do if something goes wrong and to tell close friends what drugs you are planning on taking in case somebody gets sick.

The reality is that, in a few weeks’ time, thousands of students will be piling into Front Square for Trinity Ball. Many people will be taking drugs – some for the first time. With a line-up that includes George Ezra, Tom Walker, Jax Jones, it’s bound to be a good night – but it’s always important to stay safe. Here’s hoping students heed the advice from the Ana Liffey Drug Project.