An International Celebration of Acapella

A night of harmony, catchy tunes and talent that was a beautiful showcase of the music genre.

Maeve WalshContributing Writer
Eleanor O'Mahony for The University Times

On Saturday evening, the Trinitones and the Trinity Belles joined together to host an “Acapella Bonanza”. This celebration of the art of acapella was hosted in The Button Factory on Temple Lane South.

Although the venue usually features a club scene, the wooden decorations combined with the blue and yellow toned lights created a relaxed vibe. The building with its two storeys of seating brimmed with people young and old, who were all engrossed in the sheer talent of these choirs.

The Trinity Belles was the first act on stage. They performed many modern tunes from “Ain’t Nobody” to “Accidentally in Love”. They also sang “Independent Women” which was a topical pick as International Women’s Day occurred only days ago. They provided a smooth and highly polished show, with their performance thoroughly enjoyed by all. The women’s choir also sang a twist on the classics “Lady Marmalade” and “Bang, Bang”.

Afterwards, their counterparts from the University of Pennsylvania took to the stage, with their first ever performance in Ireland. The group of 13 included both men and women and they delivered a performance mixing songs from pop to jazz. With flawless execution, the group produced songs with an air of sophistication. Using finger-snaps and rich harmonies, they sang songs including “Havana”. They also skilfully juxtaposed “No Air” against the iconic “I’m Goin’ Down” by Mary J Blige to create a timeless tune.

After a small break, the Accidentals were the smallest group to grace the stage, with just seven singers. In matching mauve jackets, they were full of energy and rhythm as they combined their catchy rhythms with movement and dance. They sang a rich variety of songs with each one being unique, with an added creative twist. The women mixed slow ballads with classic modern pop anthems. The group sang a snappy “New Rules” by Dua Lipa, but the standout song was “Butterfly” by Little Mix. The group even threw in a few anecdotes between songs, sharing their respect for Irish people for drinking Guinness which, they said, tastes of “burning wood”. They followed this up with a dig, saying that Ireland shouldn’t have won the Six Nations at the weekend.

The final act was the Trinitones. The group has jumped from success to success, and are going on a tour around America at the end of May. The group began immediately without an introduction, by launching into a haunting rendition of “Danny Boy”. By expertly weaving sounds and voices they created a rich and harmonious rendition. The complexity of their composition almost appeared simple to the ears of the audience. They sang a wondrous “Budapest” by George Ezra, which hinted at the singer’s upcoming performance at Trinity Ball. Where the Trinitones will also feature as an act. The group also performed a lively act of “Beggin’” by Frankie Valli, complete with the addition of dance.

The night ended with all four groups performing “The Auld Triangle” as a collective. This final performance served to show how the groups had bonded together outside of the competition, over their shared love and talent for this genre of music. By joining each other on the stage and ending with this song, it suggested that the genre of acapella is alive and thriving in 2018. The entire show was a roaring success.