Fiona May Elected Next Chair of the CSC

All other positions on the CSC committee were uncontested.

Róisín Power and Kathleen McNamee

Fiona May has been elected President of the Central Societies Committee (CSC) at the body’s AGM this evening.

A third-year history and politics student, May defeated current Treasurer of DU Players Conor Gill. The CSC is the body responsible for supporting and regulating student societies, and is one of the five capitated bodies in College.

May ran on a platform of experience, being the current Secretary of the CSC: “Given my experience, I am uniquely placed in understanding how it works.” She said that she wants to communicate more with societies and cited the importance of space for societies as a key issue.

Having sat on the Student Life Committee and the Capitations Committee this year, May was keen to emphasise her experience in dealing with the financial side of the CSC. “I have the knowledge of the issues going forward to lead the CSC”, she told those assembled.

All other positions of the CSC were uncontested. Third-year law and politics student Hugh Fitzgibbon, of Trinity Vincent De Paul and the University Philosophical Society (the Phil), was elected Secretary of the CSC. The Treasurer of Society for International Affairs (SOFIA), Ciaran Maguire, was elected Treasurer of the CSC. Ciara O’Leary, also a third-year law and politics student, was elected in an uncontested race for the position of Amenities Officer.

Those elected to the eight positions on the CSC Executive were Sophie Donnelly, Calum Fabb, Gill, Eoin Hannaway, Lauren McDonald, Georgie O’Sullivan, Eleanor Scott and Dahnan Spurling. As there was only eight people for the positions, all those who ran got elected.

Three societies also received official recognition at the AGM this evening: Trinity Musical Theatre Society and Space Society.