Five of the Best: St Patrick’s Day Events

Looking to escape the tacky main event? Here are some alternatives.

Andrew ConnollyDeputy Music Editor

St Patrick’s Day has more in common with the final days of Rome than a regular day in the town. As the parade rolls off into the distance and parents start to take their green-clad kids home in time for dinner, the city really begins to light up. With a huge number of events aimed to entertain those in the city for the weekend, it’s sometimes difficult to decipher which will allow you to escape the tacky drunkenness that can be Paddy’s Day in Dublin. Here is a choice selection of things to do on March 17th.

DJ Koze, Fjaak, Red Axes, Acid Pauli and more at District 8, District 8, Francis St

Never one to miss out on the action, District 8’s quality billing for St Patrick’s Day is surely the hottest ticket of the night. From DJ Koze’s wild and inventive stylings to Fjaak’s to-the-point techno, and featuring local highlights like Nevan Jio, Cait Fahey and Matt Dundon, District 8 is where you will want to be if you want to dance, or plan on taking the full weekend to recover.

Dublin Digital Radio Paddy’s Day Bonanza, Jigsaw, Belvedere Court

Dublin Digital Radio comes back with its first party of 2018, and they are shooting for the green moon. Taking you out of the city centre and straight onto the dance floor, this BYOB event is a no-frills, down-and-dirty affair. If you want a bit of mystery and suspense in your life waiting to see how its hammer will fall on their mystery billing, then Jigsaw is the place for you.

Hip Hop meets Brunch, the Odeon, Harcourt St

Looking for more of a daytime vibe? Brought to you by Chicken ’n’ Waffles, Dublin’s most dedicated rap/food outfit, Hip Hop meets Brunch is your chance to let your hair down and your stress melt away. Providing brunch from 12pm until 3pm, and copious drinks to justify the €27 entry fee, patrons will be treated to hip hop’s biggest names and best tracks, courtesy of Chicken ’n’ Waffles’ in-house DJs.

Sober St Patrick’s Day 2018, The Clockwork Door, Wellington Quay

Visit the Clockwork Door, the most relaxing place in Dublin, for a day of fun and festivities – all without dealing with the social pressure that sadly abounds on St Patrick’s Day. Filled to the brim with board games, a video game room, and the friendliest staff in the capital, the Clockwork Door provides a way of having the most wholesome and enjoyable day possible.

The Saint Patrick’s Day Parade, Dublin City Centre

Have you actually been to the parade? Featuring intricate decorations, kids running around waving tricolours and wearing fake ginger beards, dance troupes and floats that are tangentially related to Irish folklore, the St Patrick’s Day parade is an incredibly enjoyable experience. Make sure to see it at least once, before you end up on Harcourt St for the wildest night in Dublin.